To hang or to shelve.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the best way to place my cages. (If I can ever get them done :evil: ) SO, there is hanging, metal shelving, and wood shelving.

wood shelves (259x194).jpg
This was the best pic I could find that would come close to what I was thinking. With an open floor. Since it's wood I would use a good outdoor wood sealer or something. :? This is about $120 build.

Shelving at menards (342x450).jpg
[Dimensions assembled vertical 48" W x 72" H x 24" D or assembled horizontal 96" W x 24" D x 36" H, Particleboard shelves (which would not be used for rabbits leaving the floors open), Each shelf holds up to 1,000 lbs.] This is an $80 buy.

I don't know the first thing about hanging cages.

Please tell me your preference, and why.

Thank you in advance. :popcorn:

wood racks. Though you could possibly do the same with PVC. :) No need to seal either.

Mind.. I built wood racks for my buns and didn't seal them at all. Being open keeps water from getting under them and rusting the cage pans.

ii didn't find them very expensive to put together.

ladysown":ivu4x0y6 said:
wood racks. Though you could possibly do the same with PVC. :) No need to seal either.

Mind.. I built wood racks for my buns and didn't seal them at all. Being open keeps water from getting under them and rusting the cage pans.

ii didn't find them very expensive to put together.

Do you think, just using pressure treated lumber would work, without treatment? Was thinking about L-brackets to actually hold the cages. So technically the cage would set about 1/4" down in the shelf leaving the floor open and allowing waste to fall to the dirt floor. :?
What type of PVC would be used? What size? :?

I built this and the most expensive pieces were the brackets. The lumber cost me about $20, I bought a box of deck screws for $6, and the brackets were $5 a piece. I bought the brackets because my shop skills don't include joining.

I built custom cages to fit the shelves. I'll put a roof on it and lattice sides this spring. It's made of 2x4, I could see where it could have been built with 2x2s.

Attachments

• Feb 22 FortressBuild (1)a.jpg
    Feb 22 FortressBuild (1)a.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 2,928
  • Feb 22 FortressBuild (3)a.jpg
    Feb 22 FortressBuild (3)a.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 2,928
I like your rack idea,
it looks like it may be a fine solution
to your cage problem.
I do not use racks, I hang my cages from lengths of chain
on hooks for easy removal. By building a strong support
of two by fours and closing with plywood on two sides, back and top.
I would drop a tarp or clear plastic down in the front during
extremes of weather. After that I built my [For lack of a better name]
Enclosed Rabbit barn. I have a dutch door in the front so I can
open the top section in good weather. i have a side door that I use for general entry.
It works well for me, as it allows me to be out of the weather no matter
what the conditions are. I hope that you decide on the choice that works
best for you in your situation.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

We have cages hanging inside of wooden frames. The wood is untreated, but painted, because I love color. Like Ottersatin, the frame allows us to hang tarps if needed, although ours are under a permanent roof.

There is no one right way. We have had three different types of cage setups so far. I think we have finally settled on the one that works best for us. You will find yours.

A 4 post frame made just larger than your gages built with a 6" to a foot drop in the back for slant roof 6" below that a 2x4 level around with 1/2" conduit saddles for a conduit bar slipped through the top left and right of the cage going just under the top panel for secure hanging and support. Here is a picture of how are are hung just an idea a lot of fold will give you good ideas here. You are only limited by your imagination. :)

-- Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 am --

Here is another idea.

-- Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:54 am --

1½” Schedule 40 PVC – 70 feet
Red Hot Blue Glue
Elbows: 10
4-Way connector (Ex): 2
Tees: 10

-- Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:56 am --

Raising-rabbits.com has some very good ideas also.

Attachments

• cage hanger 010.jpg
    cage hanger 010.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,914
  • PVC Hanger.png
    PVC Hanger.png
    683.4 KB · Views: 2,915
Silver Cloud":1d0mowqx said:
Here is another idea.
-- Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:54 am --
1½” Schedule 40 PVC – 70 feet
Red Hot Blue Glue
Elbows: 10
4-Way connector (Ex): 2
Tees: 10
I love making things out of PVC! :D
This is what I've come up with for my very first breeding trio that will live in my garage. I know the 36x30 cages (36x24 for the buck) are large for Florida Whites, but who knows what I may want to house down the road. My frame is also 1-1/2" schedule 40, with a total of 12 - "T"s, and 4 - 90s. Overall, it's 5-1/2 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 6 feet tall.
I think it will work well for me... I hope the rabbits think so too. :shock:
bbframe.jpg

The cages (if they ever get here) will hang off the top pipes. I need to be able to move the whole thing occasionally, so it's on wheels. I plan on draping a cheap plastic drop cloth over the bottom wood frame and tying it off at the corner posts for droppings collection. I was hashing over all kinds of crazy ideas for trays and stuff, but I think this will work well. It's usually the simplest idea that makes the most sense in the end. :roll:
bunnybuggy.jpg

:thankyou: everyone for the great pictures and ideas. My cages are going to be very large. Two 48X24x24 for the does and their litters and a 36x24x24 for the buck. All with sloping fronts. I like the idea of stacking vertically but I'm short and 6' is a little tall for me to reach into. Never-the-less just doing daily checks and feeding. Do to limitations I can't be on a ladder. :x Got my freezer yesterday and cleaned it up today. The rabbittry is coming together. :p Got to get more spray paint though. Is there any way to make it stretch longer? :? I went though 3 cans and didn't even get 1 cage done. :pullhair: On the other hand the door to my shed is almost black. :x I wanted to paint each piece and then put together, but now I'm thinking on putting together and then painting. At least then the excess paint will hit another part of the cage. :p Don't know. :shrug:

We built first, then painted. And used a good quality paint- Rustoleum 2x. I tried others, but found it to work the best. And it comes in pretty colors :) We have a big wooden frame for our cages, and I think I used two to three cans on each cage. I like it to look nice. Hubby says I just like to paint.

I can't do stacking cages either. We have them set up so the bottom is at waist height- I am too old to be bending over constantly.

Can we get some updated pics?

This is were we are as of today.
These are from the old cage
040 (600x450).jpg

This is were we're heading
052 (600x450).jpg
054 (600x450).jpg

Rabbitry:
047 (600x450).jpg
048 (600x450).jpg
Black thing is a trampoline surface. We're going to hang on the back to block wind in the winter. :lol:
Only allows 5 so I'll have to make another post with the rest. :x :lol: <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 am -- <br /><br /> 050 (600x450).jpg
I asked Chris to build a butchering station. He of course shook his head and asked WHY!. :lol: :lol: We settled on a combo, somewhere to butcher and clean fish. Now he is all for it. :p :lol: We picked up a counter top at Lowes for $25, with the hopes that it could be used in our kitchen. It was to large. :x :lol: So we're going to weather proof it and put is outside. Got a stainless steel sink from, somewhere. So all we have to buy is the weather proofing stuff, a faucets, and a few pieces of PVC. Then we'll have running water (via garden hose to faucet) to the station. :p So excited.

051 (600x450).jpg
This is were most of the wind cuts through. Makes an excellent breezeway during the summer but a little chilly in the winter.

Both panels have not been attached fully, we're going to work on that today. And with hope get the other doe's cage done. I'll be fitting doors and shelves (for the does) after all 3 cages are done. I have a sneaking suspicion we going to need more wire. :lol:

Been working on the shed the past 2 days. This is what we have got done so far.
001 (500x375).jpg
I made 2 48x24x24 cages. The racks are 8feet long and 2feet wide. BUT both doe cages won't fit into 1 rack. :shock: :? So tomorrow I'll have to make a 47x24x24 :x :lol: so it will sit in the rack beside the other. :lol:
003 (500x375).jpg
We went with PVC supports that can be removed for easy cleaning.
004 (500x375).jpg
Went with I-hooks and wire to support the front and screwed the back to the wall. Also hung a large tarp to protect the wall from the buns urine.
010 (500x375).jpg
There was a tree trying to grow and Cookie decided it made a perfect chew toy. :p Now I don't need to cut it. :lol: :lol:
011 (500x375).jpg
Hubby came in to tell me I was hanging it wrong and decided to show me how to do it. :p :lol: I sat back and watched while he hung both racks.

We also got the front and back enclosed. We still need to close off the soffit and hang a wasp killer jug. There were dozens of nest that I knocked down. :x Give me snakes and their skins any day. Wasp nest disgusting. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Went to the in-laws the other day and found a large roll to 1x2 16ga wire, and another sink/counter top combo. This one is ceramic coated steel, so no weather proofing. Yea. :p :p

Marinea":rtvag3n7 said:
Looking really good! It has to be exciting to see it coming together.

Very. Can't wait. :p Hubby was saying that I could fit quite a lot of bunnies in there and was mentally counting cages. I think he might be coming down with a mild case of rabbtosis. :p :lol: :twisted: I might have infected him. :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy" I think he might be coming down with a mild case of rabbtosis. :P :lol: :twisted: I might have infected him. :lol: :lol:[/quote said:
Watch out apparently there is a strain that only allows for petting and playing...My hubby has that variety..some building can be involved.but no raking or shoveling. Feeding is sometimes permitted, Definitely eating but dispatch and process are not in the symptom list.. :lol:
Good looking set up so far..keep us posted.. :)

katiebear":2nbzc1bb said:
Watch out apparently there is a strain that only allows for petting and playing...My hubby has that variety..some building can be involved.but no raking or shoveling. Feeding is sometimes permitted, Definitely eating but dispatch and process are not in the symptom list.. :lol: Good looking set up so far..keep us posted.. :)

He already said that he'll do the building and eating, but that is as far as he's willing to help. Says their to cute to hit in the head. :p :lol: MEN. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:32 pm --

Cages are almost done. Just need to place a shelf in one of the doe's cages and put on some guard thing on the doors. After making the cages I realized I couldn't reach the corners from the doors I had made. So I expanded them. Have 3 with sloping fronts and 1 that is just plain jane square-ish. Oh well their sturdy and that's all that really matters. :lol: Can't wait till they are filled with bunnies. :p <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:58 pm -- <br /><br /> Here are some up to date picture of the rabbittry. Just a few little things to do still.
Does' cages:
032 (500x375).jpg
036 (500x375).jpg
View attachment 2
037 (500x375).jpg
Buck's cage
033 (500x375).jpg
039 (500x375).jpg

Just a couple of weeks till I get my little ones. :p

Latest posts

Back