Help! Rabbit Diarrhea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptbunny8087

Reaction score
Today I came home to my 4 month Holland Lop doe having very bad diahhrea. She wouldnt move and would just stare at me. She would ushually come running to me and hop into my lap. She has diahhrea all over her tray and cage and really bad on her feet. We instantly went into action. We cleaned off her feet and I fed her water through a syringe for a little bit but she would be lay there. We then set up a cage and tried feeding her bread, hay, and fresh water. She still layed there. I have been doing the syringe feeding for a while and she seemed interested in the water but was too week to drink. I check to see if she was dehydrated and she was. She had acess to a full water bottle of water.

Please help me with what I could do!! :( <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:24 pm __________ <br /><br /> UPDATE: She has been sitting with both of her front feet in her water bowl. I move her and she goes right back in and justs stares straight ahead. She lowers her head and falls in the bowl and Im afraid she will drown :(

Your bunny is probably undergoing A LOT of intestinal pain right now. You could be close to losing her. Instead of giving water, you can try syringe feeding her pedialyte or a homemade electrolyte solution. Infant gas drops (smethicone) might help with discomfort. You might also try offering greens if she continues refusing all other feed, there are a number of greens that might help with gas and diarrhea. If syringe feeding becomes necessary, I have found mashed pumpkin and soaked oatmeal (blended) to be easy on them but still accomplish the task of keeping things moving.
Oh, and keep her warm, but not too warm.

I'm with Zass on the electrolyte solution. Definitely try to get some into her with a syringe behind the front teeth. If you don't have a syringe tonight, you'll have to come up with something to get the fluids into the back of her mouth.

If you don't have an electrolyte solution or the ingredients tonight, you can add a little molasses to the water, or offer diluted tea.

You can take her off all feed except for hay and regular old fashioned kitchen oatmeal, if you can get her to eat that. It's very easy on the stomach, and often helps reverse diarrhea. To entice her to take in some oatmeal, you can stir it with a little molasses, or even a little applesauce or pumpkin. Just enough to coat the oats very lightly.

If you have a weeping willow tree, you can see if she will eat some thin twigs for pain relief. Or you can give her a baby aspirin.

Ptbunny8087":3hysh743 said:
She feels very cold so I covered her with a towel, will the be enough? :cry:
If she feels cold, you should probably give her a hot water bottle, or lay a heating pad on low over her for short times, checking frequently to make sure she isn't getting hot.

Good luck! :( :clover: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh, that's right... you do have a syringe. That's very good.

we got her gas-x, peditrc, pepto pismol. We gave her pediatric and pepto tonight and then gas-x we will give her tomorrow. She is kinda drowsy looking...

DIARRHEA:

Mucoid Enteropathy

Take immediate action at the first sign of diarrhea. This could be a life and death situation for any rabbit especially the very young. STOP ALL treats as they are the most likely cause of the problem. Feed plenty of long-fiber grass-hay and oats will work well. You may even want to stop the pelleted feed. when the stools return to normal slowly add the pelleted feed back to the diet while continuing to give grass-hay on a regular basis. Two to three times a week if not more often.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

One thing I do sometimes for small animals who just need a little additional warmth is to heat a sock filled with rice in the microwave, wrap it in a towel and place it right in the cage. Make sure your bunny can get away from any heat source you choose to provide.

Plants that can be very helpful in cases of diarrhea are the lawn weeds plantain and shepherd's purse and the leaves of blackberry, raspberry and strawberry. If the rabbit refuses them, you could put them in a blender with liquid and then syringe it into the rabbit's mouth.

These plants are all safe rabbit foods as well as useful medicinal plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

I had never heard of giving rabbits Pepto.

One thing I wanted to bring up is that any warming device use -- whether hot water bottle, hot rice in a sock, or heating pad -- will need to be closely monitored by you. Bunnies can get themselves into an amazing amount of trouble with their nibbling.

Back