We've got it

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
The dreaded P that is.

I noticed one eye booger on this girl a few days ago. But it was just one and very small and very hot. It wasn't mucusy looking. Didn't see another for 3 days.

Daughter picked her up today and she had snot coming from her nose and eyes. She was perfectly fine last night.

We'd just reorganized, too.

Any antibiotic I can start as a prophylactic?

Apple cider vinegar in water or wormwood tea I would use.
Few drops of propolis tincture in the mouth.
I avoid antibiotics.

MY personal recommendation to simply to cull immediately.

but you might have a different thinking pattern. If so

1. put her far far far away from the rest of your herd.
2. DO NOT medicate. Treatment merely covers the symptoms. Does not cure.
3. wait and see if she will get better on her own.
4. cull if suffering.
5. keep isolated for the rest of her life.
6. if breeding, keep the buck you are using with her.
7. wean any kits she has early (day 17-19 if possible) This means pushing hay and oatmeal as soon as possible. This also requires you have a cage set aside for kindling in as you remove her and leave the kits where they are to facilitate ease of weaning. OR you have to keep her in her own cage. Move to the weaning cage for a day or two and then move her back to her own cage leaving kits where they are.
8. watch the kits closely for any signs of sneezing snot, culling immediately anything with signs of it. Keep the remaining keepers until they have successfully kindled ISOLATED for the rest of your herd and away from mom (who you already know is a carrier/infected).

ladysown":10lz5phj said:
MY personal recommendation to simply to cull immediately.
That's what we did. We cremated the body. Her LUNGS looked perfect, but her heart was...well, it wasn't recognizable as a heart. Honestly. It wasn't even the size of a small grape, a very strange color. It almost looked like she was missing half of it.

Like the other sick ones, her pelt just came right off. No tugging required. Large tufts of fur were flying off.

I don't know what it is, but it sure screwed her up.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm __________<br /><br />Anyway, here's the problem. The quarantined rabbits were all in one area. The lops were overheating inside. So we put them outside.

We moved one of my NZW bucks to the cage that now dead doe was in. We moved the other NZW buck from the LARGE tractor to a small tractor. We put the now deceased doe and her mother in the large tractor.

So now the possible victims are
- The NZW occupying her cage
- The mother lop
- The remaining NZW doe that was housed next to her

%$^%$&^$@&*&^%#$

ah shoot!

not much you can do at this point.... as your buck has probably chinned everything in sight....

just watch and hope for strong immune systems...

That's what I'm going for. Any signs of mucus we're going to cull.

The one sign I had from her was the eye booger. It was a soft, white glob of mucus. Just a tiny bit on a 90F day. I didn't think much of it. Any idea what it was? I didn't see it again, until oldest daughter brought her to me and those globs were matted all over her eyes and nostrils. ALL over. Her eyes were getting weird from the amount of it.

Lungs were amazingly perfect. I'm doubting P at this point, considering HOW perfect they were. Perhaps a very poor heat tolerance? I'm reaching for good possibilities...

Sometimes an eye infection is just an eye infection...

...and a sinus infection is just a sinus infection.

The fact she got worse instead of better indicates her immune system was not the greatest and it was likely just a matter of time before it reached her lungs.

Her heart defect could have pre-disposed her to catching a disease and her compromised circulatory system couldn't clear out the infection.

Back