My Pasteurella Journey

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an update on my little sneezing buck. He only sneezed occasionally, and only had the smallest bit of white snot for 3 days. Since it was entirely on one side and the doe remains unaffected, I thought I'd cross my fingers that he'd aspirated a bit of hay. I went to town for a nasal aspirator (aka: snot-sucker), intending to use it on him. When I got hold of him, his nose was dry and has remained so.

Maybe he heard me muttering about using the snot-sucker on him, hoping to suck out a foreign body, and expelled it himself?

Maybe it was a less virulent bacteria, and has resolved itself?

I haven't heard him sneeze since the morning I went to get the snot-sucker. I guess I'll just watch him like a hawk. I don't know what to think, really.

Gulien, there are a lot of different strains of bacteria that can cause Pasteurella-like symptoms. Including but not limited to: Bordatella, Moraxella, Staph, and more. http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respirator ... al/URI.htm
So, don't assume its Pasteurella. Best to pull a culture to test for it for your peace of mind.

I've also collected info here and there saying there are many strains of Pasteurella out there - some more virulent than others - and that some rabbits do actually cure themselves - but I have no way of knowing whether they are just asymptomatic or if they are absolutely free of the organism, but since bacteria mutate and are not the same across the board, I'm open to the possibility.

Good luck with your bunnies!

Hi Stormy, how is your herd doing after your bout with Bordatella? I have referred several people from FB groups to your journey through the illnesses ... I am not sure "we" have saved any rabbits from being put down as pastuerella rabbits, but they can make a more informed decision based on your situation.

Stormy, let's make a different thread for your herd updates. This post is supposed to be a sticky to share my personal experience with catastrophic Pasteurellosis. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back