Lifting Rabbits by Holding Shoulders (8 pics)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
The key to this method is the direction of pressure applied to the rabbit's body. You are not "gripping" the shoulders, rather you are applying pressure down and back.
IMG_3898.JPG

Slide your free hand under the rabbit's hindquarters.
IMG_3891.JPG

Gently squeeze the rabbit between your two hands while lifting up.
IMG_3892.JPGIMG_3899.JPG

Once accustomed to this method, the rabbit will hang in a relaxed position.
IMG_3900.JPG

Rotate the rabbit toward your body.
IMG_3981.JPG

Tuck it's head under your arm.
IMG_3982.JPG

You can shift your hold to support the rump, or hold securely along the body length, leaving the legs dangling.
IMG_3983.JPGIMG_3984.JPG

I believe what relaxes the rabbits is the uniform pressure to the body, and blocking their vision with your arm when actually carrying them to their destination. If you have to chase the rabbit around a bit before getting hold of the shoulders, make sure to let it settle under your hand prior to trying to lift it. Also, if it struggles when you are about to set it down, bring it back into your body, let it settle, and then try again. Do not put it down when it is kicking! Not only could it injure itself, but if you allow that behavior it will repeat itself and the reaction will get stronger. Teach your rabbit that it must hang relaxed and it will be set down.

Hope this helps everybunny.

A big Thank You! to LilFishJWQueen for telling us about this method!

Oh, I see what you mean. But my cages are just at my head level, my mistake, I couldn't get them out that way :( I will probably have to lower the cages so they are at shoulder level. I do remember someone telling me that a certain judge could tell rexes that were lifted by the scruff. I didn't understand that till now.

My cages for the does are up high too. I have a little step stool so I can reach them- but even when I have to practically climb in with them, I've noticed they don't struggle like they did before. I can also shift them forward a bit so I can get myself out the door before lifting them all the way out.

Yep that is the easiest and scratch free way Mamasheepdog

__________ 03 Jan 2012, 12:29 __________

Oh and just a side comment - nice condition on them buns lol<br /><br />__________ 03 Jan 2012, 12:31 __________<br /><br />It also helps to remember these are prey animals so are constantly looking for the opportunity to escape, firm confident handling prevents these attempts. Nervous hesitation tells a bunny he has a chance of escape.

I will try this tomorow! Thanks MamaSheepdog and LilFishJWQueen.
I still don't understand about picking up by the scruff, when I think about I think of picking a kitten up by the skin of the neck, like a mother cat carries them. Maybe someone could take some picture of that?

Jana that is exactly the same as a mother cat they just grab a heap of skin at the nape of the neck and lift - without additional support of the hind section, so the rabbits whole weight is supported by the skin at the back of the neck.

Maybe it would help if I wore gloves as well :) I do have a step stool, I will put it to use, though I still might lower my cages. They are up high because I thought I might want two rows.

Ah. Now I see why that method is controversal. Mother rabbits don't carry popples around by the scruff, so it is an unnatural way of picking a rabbit up.
But what works for some doesn't work for everyone.

Bramble Hedge":75kcbs7q said:
Oh and just a side comment - nice condition on them buns lol

__________ 03 Jan 2012, 12:31 __________

It also helps to remember these are prey animals so are constantly looking for the opportunity to escape, firm confident handling prevents these attempts. Nervous hesitation tells a bunny he has a chance of escape.

Thanks! I think- why are you laughing? Flurry (REW) does look a bit wide in the pics, but the camera is not kind to everybunny, y'know.

Note I am well protected from spastic bunnies by a quilted flannel and gloves... kick away, Bunn-eh!

skysthelimit":75kcbs7q said:
I do have a step stool, I will put it to use, though I still might lower my cages. They are up high because I thought I might want two rows.

I have two tiers now, and am thinking three would be better- but then I would need a ladder... I wouldn't lower your cages, just 'deal with it' because you will want two rows. Trust me on this. :lol:

Jana15":75kcbs7q said:
Ah. Now I see why that method is controversial. Mother rabbits don't carry popples around by the scruff, so it is an unnatural way of picking a rabbit up.
But what works for some doesn't work for everyone.

Exactly why. Imagine picking up a human infant by "the scruff"- we just aren't made that way, and neither are bunnies. However, some rabbits are complete maniacs, so you might have to "scruff" those- just make sure you are lifting with your support hand, and just kind of "hanging on" with the scruff. In a pinch you need to use what works.

So glad that You posted this. and so glad i am on this forum ! Learn new things every day here.

Now i need to practice with the rabbits to get the hang of it.

Question... would this hurt a bred doe ...lifting them this way ??

Random Rabbit":14fedw5s said:
So glad that You posted this. and so glad i am on this forum ! Learn new things every day here.

Now i need to practice with the rabbits to get the hang of it.

Question... would this hurt a bred doe ...lifting them this way ??

I love RT and am always learning too! JWQ posted about this method, but it took me a while to figure it out- support the body from underneath, pressing the bunny up into the shoulder hand, and pressing from the shoulders to the hindquarters.

I think bred does would be fine lifted this way, because my fingers are splayed on the belly to distribute weight. The joint of thumb and index finger straddles the haunch of the rabbit, which limits kicking, especially if you "stretch" the body.

Oven mitts! Lol :rotfl: what a great idea. I use the thickest rubber dish gloves I can buy. I can get a good grip on them that way. I want to try this way of picking them up.
The bucks I have will get in a bucket to go back in but not to get out of the cage they just put the skids on. They hate the scruff method I am sure it hurts. Bugsey is such a big boy I know he hates it. I have trained him to get in the bucket to go back in but it is a fight every time to get him out of his cage. :x

I would like to use a clicker and train the buns to "target" so I can get them within reach easily... but it is kind of far down "The List". There simply isn't enough time in the day to get it all done. <sigh>

Thank you so much MamaSheepdog for posting these pictures! :) I always have trouble with putting pics on my computer lol Im glad I helped when i posted about the method. I learned it when I was 9 starting out in 4-H and have found it always worked for me and other people. I have to admit I have also used gloves on some animals but those situations..the rabbit never stayed in my barn for long because it was the rabbit not the method. Not to say some rabbits just need some gettin used to it cause they are not used to it but its like different ways that people pose rabbits..some just get used to a certin way.

But thanks again MamaSheepdog for the pics! I love that about this forum to gain and share knowledge about the animals we all love, rabbits. :)

LilFish_JWQueen(:":11tmf9l1 said:
Thank you so much MamaSheepdog for posting these pictures! :) I have to admit I have also used gloves on some animals but those situations..the rabbit never stayed in my barn for long because it was the rabbit not the method

No problem, LilFish! Did I explain the method well, or do you do it differently?

My poor hands are in pretty rough shape- I have very poor nails, and add in the callouses and rough skin... umm, let's just say it ain't pretty, and scratches wouldn't help. So even with my "good bunnies" I wear gloves, and have other gloves I use for feeding hay, mucking out, etc. Years ago, my brother who is a cabinetmaker told me I have "Carpenter's hands"- not exactly feminine! :oops: Oh well- I'd rather be a farmgirl than a fashionmodel.

Thanks so much, Sis! LOL I really could not "get" what y'all were describing...I was picturing somehow grabbing them by the shoulders and picking them up that way...just could not see how it would work. Now that I see what you are doing, I will give it a try.

My Sistah, I had the same problem, thinking that the controlling hand was on the shoulders. True initially, but only to stop forward movement, never to lift. The actual lifting is done from below, pressing the body between your hands. Once I figured that out, everybunny was happy (well... almost!)...

AWESOME pics, and explanation! Gonna try it tomorrow! :D

Very nice pictures. I'll be practicing tomorrow. I'm getting tired of all thes scratches.
Nathan

Latest posts

Back