Leonis Rex Kits, Generation II!!! Pics added 4/29

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
My first generation Leonis Rex poppled generation II last night! She was bred to a blue Rex, so it will be interesting to see if any have Rex fur and/or manes.

She had five kits, but two were DOA- they were pretty large kits, so they probably got stuck. I found one popple under the floor wire on the slant board (no, I don't have babysaver wire), and it was ice cold. And I mean just about frozen... way past the point of resuscitating I thought.

But I stuck it into my bra anyway, and continued washing and filling water bowls, and eventually felt movement. I kept him in there a while longer while I added more hay to the doe's nest since three popples need a bit of help keeping toasty warm.

The little ice-popple looks like an opal.

Here is mom, who needs a name now:

IMG_9947.JPG

The nest:

IMG_9951.JPG

The three little popples:

IMG_9957.JPG

Oh! They are pretty popples! :p
Someone please remind me I don't have any more cage space right now! :shock:

How cute! I can’t wait till my doe pops so I can have some little naked mole rats (as my family calls them) of my own haha. It looks so warm in your pictures! I’m jealous.

Thanks, all! :D

This doe came from a litter of eight, and her mom Magma did a superb job with them... so since there are only three popples, I am considering breeding her right back to her brother in the hopes that I will get a Rexed DM.

siddsaysgimmie":2v7aujae said:
Congrats! Very interesting. Haven't seen a nestbox like that before... neat.

It is called a Sani-Nest and you can buy them from BASS equipment. They come with a disposable waxed cardboard liner.

I used to cut cardboard to fit. Now I use pieces of the plastic wall panels commonly used in commercial restrooms. They are easy to sanitize between use, and I am not scrambling to find cardboard boxes to cut up when I prep nests. :)

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see those little popples when they're older.

I've seen those nest boxes in the Bass catalog and wasn't particularly impressed. Now that I see yours, though, I'm thinking I may try one. Mine are solid metal, with the removable peg-board floor. The Sani-Nest would probably be a lot cooler in our hot weather here.

I think it's actually 2 blacks and a blue :) Opals usually have light inner ears.

Cute, though, can't wait to see them grow!

I think your right bad habit, if the male is a blue and the doe is a black it's impossible to get agoutis(opal=blue + agouti). So 2 blacks and one blue :)

It has a light belly and triangle of light skin on the back of the neck. :? But I'll gladly accept a blue. :)

YAAAAY! What a cool litter! And way to go on the save, MSD. (Bra-suscitation has saved many a little critter here too)

What a cool project this is; I can't wait to see Gen III!!! :D

DumansArk":29wuveak said:
What a cool project this is; I can't wait to see Gen III!!!

Me neither! :p

Well, the kits are 10 days old today! The two black ones appear to be Rex furred with no sign yet of a mane. The little blue one has longer wavy fur.

It was the runt of the litter, and weighs 4oz compared to 8oz for the blacks. I am wondering if it inherited the size of the LionHead genes and if the blacks have the Rex size. :hmm:

One other interesting point- the blacks opened their eyes yesterday, but the blue hasn't yet.

Here they are:

IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG

Yes, they do. :)

They are fat, too! It feels more like you are holding a puppy than a bunny.

Back