How to "Pot-up" a Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
:p The Long-Awaited Bunny-Bucket Tutorial! :p

229.JPG

You will need thick, sturdy plant pots- if you use flimsy ones, they become chew toys as opposed to "burrows"! Since we have standard Rex I prefer the typical 5 gallon size, but I also have a couple of short squat 5g (?) ones that come in handy for younger rabbits. 5g seems ideal for the standard rabbit- I am sure you could adjust gallons-per-pound with other classes!

IMG_2292.JPG

The best way to get pots is to buy a tree or shrub and plant it... something the rabbits can eat would be a bonus! :D Sometimes local nurseries will give you used ones, especially if you've been a good customer. I emailed friends and neighbors and found more that way, since I didn't have enough on hand.

First, thoroughly clean the pots to remove the soil and any fertilizer or pesticide residue. I use an abrasive sponge with dish soap and vinegar, and an old toothbrush to scrub around the drainage holes and inner edge.

Next, drill a hole in the base of the pot and one in the rim, parallel to one another. Use a drill bit slightly larger in diameter than the gauge of the wire you will use to hang the pot.

IMG_2312.JPG

You will need to make 2 different hooks for each pot. I used galvanized wire to make my hooks, hoping to minimize rust. The photo below shows 2 views of the hooks for the front of the pot, and 3 views of the hooks for the back. They show overall length, and length of each "arm".

IMG_2295.JPG

If you can't see that clearly, the front hook is shaped like an 'S', measuring 2" tall, with the top "arm" being 1-3/8", and the bottom "leg" 7/8". The rear hook is shaped like a 'C', 3" tall, top arm 1-1/2", bottom 3/4".

You will put the short portions of each hook through the holes in the pots, with the 'S' hook at the front of the pot, and the 'C' at the rear.

IMG_6981.JPG

When you hang the pot, you will need to hook the back first. I count in 4 spaces, and hang on the first wire below the top of the cage. My cages are 1" x 2" wire, so 4" from the outside edge, and 2" down from the top. (I colored the "hooks" green to make them easier to see in the photos. This hook is actually caught on the first wire down of the cage behind it.)

IMG_6974.JPG

Count 5 wires forward from the top rear wire of the cage, and hook the front wire to the top of the cage. The "hook" should be swept back over the body of the pot, providing tension so the rabbits can't knock the bucket down.

IMG_6975.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6981.JPG
    IMG_6981.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 6,012
Brilliant! We have outdoor pens on grass but I'm going to put one of these in Matilda's pen and see if stops digging so much.

OneAcreFarm":1w9wlu4z said:
Now....where to find some pots......

Hahahaaa.. yep! Exactly what I was thinking! I just posted a request to my mom club asking everyone to save their pots for me.

ollitos":3jkxtg4d said:
I'm going to put one of these in Matilda's pen and see if stops digging so much.

I don't know if it will help with digging, but she will love lounging in it! :)

Jessykah":3jkxtg4d said:
why r the pots on an angle in the cage?

Two reasons- in case they pee in it (which mine haven't ever done), the urine can drain out of the holes in the bottom. Also, the slope makes it more comfortable for them- if they are horizontal, the rabbit's front feet keep slipping forward. Canted toward the back, the rabbits slip back with their butts resting against the rear of the pot, and don't have to "scrabble" to keep their position.

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! makes sssoooo much sense. thanks for posting this tutorial. well done

MamaSheepdog":2nqol3v9 said:
ollitos":2nqol3v9 said:
I'm going to put one of these in Matilda's pen and see if stops digging so much.

I don't know if it will help with digging, but she will love lounging in it! :)

I'm hoping that having a pseudo-burrow will appease her need for a hidey hole. Probably won't, but it's worth a try.

My rabbits seem very relaxed when in their buckets.

I actually got the idea from a set up I had with a pet mini-Rex... she was in an aviary, and I gave her hollow oak logs for shelter. There was no other protection from the elements, and she used them to escape the heat, wind, rain, and snow. Oak is a bit heavy for a suspended wire cage, so I came up with the plant pots. My BunnyBarn is in between two sheds, but when it gets windy rain and snow can still blow in there, and they offer protection and conserve body heat.

AWESOME!!! :pinkbunny: But.....forget the tub......me wants the bun-neh!!!!!!

lol me too! We cannot get standard rex around here. if there are any in ontario, or Canada, i would be surprised.

Lol enlighten me. Every time I see someone has some for sale, I go look at them and I always have to inform them that they have mini Rex. I was just at someone's house that said they had a standard, and I took one look at the rabbit and said "that's a mini Rex, and I have owned him twice. And no, I do not want him again." lol

I know...ha! It's a broken black and white, and looks like a dalmation because its spots are all tiny and all over it's coat. All black spots except one brown small spot on his back. I was like, "hmmm, let me see here...yep, brown spot... So we meet again, Freckles..."

Jessykah":tiy4l3oi said:
I know...ha! It's a broken black and white, and looks like a dalmation because its spots are all tiny and all over it's coat. All black spots except one brown small spot on his back. I was like, "hmmm, let me see here...yep, brown spot... So we meet again, Freckles..."
Thats a small town for ya. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back