Register

Feeds to enhance milk production

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,193.00

Re: Feeds to enhance milk production

Post Number:#31  Unread postby Rustina » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:16 am

MaggieJ wrote:MamaSheepdog, this is the red clover that one feeds to rabbits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_pratense

You may know it as purple clover.

Raspberry, blackberry and strawberry leaves can all be fed to rabbits. I don't see why boysenberry, which is a hybrid of raspberry, blackberry and loganberry should not be good for them too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boysenberry

Just to make sure i am reading this properly, this particular red clover IS safe to feed or IS NOT safe to feed?
I think i am confusing myself..... :|
American Chinchilla and Rex Rabbits

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:50 am

The red clover in the Wiki article, Trifolium pratense, is safe to feed to rabbits. It is widely used as a fodder crop. Very high in protein.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Rustina

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 am

I am bumping this thread for Schmitty.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 3,811.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby caroline » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm

I wanted to give an update on my first use of nettle with a doe.
I have a young first time momma who had 7 kits on the 9th. She pulled AMAZING amounts of fur and every time that I have checked her there has been MORE fur all over the cage and filtering through to the ground. It seemed like she had good instincts to be a good momma but I began noticing day before yesterday that the kits didn't seem really fat like I like to see them. There were even 1 or 2 who seemed skinny and a little less vigorous than the rest too.

I decided to see if I could help them all get a little extra. Momma was very calm and cooperative and lay in my lap white I gave them each a chance to nurse. Her chest didn't seem very full, as some of my other does chests have seemed so I began to worry that momma didn't have enough for them. Fortunately, the nettle has begun to grow along the creek bank so this morning I gloved up and harvested about 10 stalks. I rubber-banded it and hung it from the ceiling in front of one bank of rabbit cages. Since I need it now, I decided that I'd take the chance and offer it to her without waiting for it to dry so I put in a stalk with about 4-5 leaves on it and left it for her to eat.

This morning I decided that when it warmed up a bit I would give the kits another chance to all nurse. In the middle of the day when I took out the nest box and checked them they all looked quite a bit better than yesterday so I decided to leave them for momma to feed on her own. And put another stalk of nettle in the cage. When I left she was chomping down the whole thing, stalk, leaves and all. I'm very encouraged. We'll see how they all look tomorrow. I have also been offering her more than her usual handful of whole oats. I'd say I've given her 3 or more handfuls today. She also drank more water than usual, which I see as a good sign.
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~
They add to food security & give a lot of JOY!

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for the report, Caroline.

Nettle can be fed well-wilted as well as dried. Once it wilts, the hairs that cause the irritation become ineffective. If they don't sting your skin they shouldn't harm the rabbit either.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 3,811.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby caroline » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:42 pm

I have been MIA for 3 years
and trying to return for a month or so but couldn't remember user name
so couldn't get in :(
Glad I finally figured it out

I would like to share my current recipe for lactation support for large litters
it's basically the same herbs that are in the nursing teas sold for human mamas :)
I don't measure I just mix up a big Tupperware=type container that I keep in the barn
equal parts blessed thistle, fenugreek, coriander seed, anise seed, fennel seed, marshmallow root

I order the herbs from Starwest botanical
It seems to really make a difference.
I top dress the doe's feed with a generous TBSP of the mixture each day til the kits are out of the nest box.
I only add it for does that have a skinny kit of so.
I still feed stalks of dried nettle when I have it
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~
They add to food security & give a lot of JOY!

The following user would like to thank caroline for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

Previous