A Case of Accidental Rabbitosis Aquireosis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Yesterday I attended a show in Lancaster, and brought 5 Rex and 3 Jersey Woolys in two 4-hole transport cages and one 2-hole cage. The JW's have been in quarantine in the house, so I didn't want to mix and match bunnies... so the Woolys were in a 4-hole, with hay stuffed in the empty hole to feed every bunny, and the Rex were in the other cages, with one hole empty in the 2-hole carrier. I purposely left my other transport cages at home, because I was not, repeat NOT going to bring any new rabbits home. :nono:

I was minding my own business, watching the judging of some enormous BEW and self Blue rabbits at the table where my JW's were scheduled to be exhibited. I was trying to figure out what the breed was by the list posted so I would have an idea of when I needed to be ready.

"Look at all the meat on those rabbits," I mused. :dinner: "Those blues are very pretty. Imagine a quilt made out of those pelts."

I decided I was probably looking at Americans, since they come in blue and white and the rabbits were of mandolin type.

A lady I had met the prior year approached me, with yet another huge blue rabbit in her arms. One of her mini Rex does had surprised her by kindling at the show the prior year, and I had fixed a hot water bottle and impromptu nest with some of my hay for the kits. I asked if they had survived, which they had. :)

At this point, the rabbit commenced to struggle, and she was having a hard time keeping hold of it, since it was roughly half her size. She looked very distressed, and the rabbit was clearly about to launch itself to freedom, so I offered to hold it for her. Once in my arms, the rabbit settled itself, and hung like a big blue stuffed toy.

"Look how she stopped struggling right away! Thank you for holding her- I'm not used to handling big rabbits." I stood stroking its comical huge ears and plush coat while we watched the judging of the class.

"Do you have Beverens?" she asked. "Er- no." says I. "I raise Rex for meat and have a trio of Jersey Woolys." "Oh, too bad," she said, looking crestfallen. "I'm looking for a home for this doe. I'm only asking $5. Otherwise she is going to the snake man for $3."

Horrified by the prospect of this snuggly bunny being munched by an Anaconda, I clutched the rabbit just a bit tighter to my chest. "Wont you take her? They are a meat breed, and she really likes you."

A great inner struggle began to occur. Cage space is limited. I need to cull a bunch of rabbits as it is. But my Sistah OAF has Americans, and she says the loin is longer. Crossing a Rex to a Beveren (not an American after all!) would just be too weird... but... what if...

I turned to the lady on my opposite side and asked if she had any blue bucks for sale. She did not. I explained the situation, and told her I might take the doe, but only if I could also acquire a buck. Apparently, Beveren exhibitors are few and far between, so the prospect of ensnaring me as a breeder was too good to pass up. She offered to breed her buck to her instead. :roll:

As it turned out, the doe was not quite ready, but she contacted another breeder and found an intermediate buck for me. He placed second at convention. :D I will be getting him December 8th from a show in Chino- if I don't go myself, I have some friends that will be attending and they offered to bring him home for me. :whistle:

The breeder looked at her papers, and told me she is out of one of the top lines in the country- Calloway's- and it turns out she was bred by Barbi Brown. Small world, eh? My buck to be also carries Calloway's.

So, without further ado, meet "Cedar"...

Here she is, wisely kissing up to Hubs:

IMG_5905.JPG

Our cat Jigsaw was appalled at the size of this new interloper:

IMG_5912.JPG

Here she is lounging:

IMG_5922.JPGIMG_5925.JPG

nice looking rabbit. Rabbitosis Aquireosis is very contagious. I am in process of figuring out cages to prepare for more. I am working on getting a Jersey wooly for youngest daughter and trying to find a buck. I like my Creme D'Argents but I am not getting attached to them. Sooo I may after fair next year send them off and expand with satin's or look into a few Netherland Dwarfs. Love their ears.

Beautiful rabbit! Note to self, Self, never, never, never go to a rabbit show or near a person carrying a rabbit, never! :lol:

Beeutiful rabbit Mama. Some people have all the luck. I went to a rabbit show yesterday and didn't find anything.

Bad Habit":1rg559w7 said:
I love the rich colour of her coat.

Pretty, isn't it? It is so long compared to my Rex!

Demamma":1rg559w7 said:
I am working on getting a Jersey wooly for youngest daughter and trying to find a buck.

There are a bunch of shows scattered around CA in the next couple of months- I'm sure you could find a really good one if you made a trip to a show. But...

Demamma":1rg559w7 said:
Rabbitosis Aquireosis is very contagious.

It seems be very highly concentrated at rabbit shows.
garden lady":1rg559w7 said:
Note to self, Self, never, never, never go to a rabbit show or near a person carrying a rabbit, never!

:lol: Smart move. See above.

Random Rabbit":1rg559w7 said:
Perhaps this is R. Aquireosis Subconscious ? and not the variation Accidentalosis. ???

I am sticking with Accidentalosis. ;) Sundew had a really nice false dwarf JW doe with amazing type and wool for sale, and I was able to exercise Rabbitosis Resistosis despite having a hay filled hole available. You have no idea how hard that was... :roll:

Beekeeper10":1rg559w7 said:
Beeutiful rabbit Mama. Some people have all the luck. I went to a rabbit show yesterday and didn't find anything.

Thanks! I'm not sure I need this kind of luck! ;) But she is a really neat rabbit, and I have often felt that having a self colored breed would make it easier to cull for type.

Keep going to shows, and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Or it will find you!

I bet I saw her future mate at the convention. I have had AMs and I was very surprised that the Beverens seemed even bigger. And unlike the AMs, I think the black Beverens are showable, aren't they? Good Luck!!

Beekeeper10":3kzbpfks said:

Oh I feel the same way. Maybe if I stop looking a rabbit will come to me?

ilovehome":3euqpb37 said:
I think the black Beverens are showable, aren't they?

Yes. Black, blue, and white are accepted. There is also a chocolate variety. She has only blue on the top of her pedigree, but all colors on the bottom. I'm not sure what Barbi was thinking with that... it is my understanding that breeding black to blue is okay, but throwing BEW into the mix can cause VM marked kits. We'll just have to eat those... :twisted:

Miss M":3euqpb37 said:
Obviously very intelligent, too, the way she's sucking up to your husband!

Yup! Beauty AND brains! :mrgreen:

Actually, it is rather odd, but Hubs doesn't seem to care what kind of bunny I bring home. I don't know if he has just completely surrendered or what. :hmm: Perhaps he has a sub-clinical Rabbitosis infection.

skysthelimit":3euqpb37 said:
Maybe if I stop looking a rabbit will come to me?

Y'know what they say about love...

Maybe the rabbit of your dreams will come to you carried by your Knight in rabbit fluff covered armor? :clover:

caroline":3euqpb37 said:
Where did you say you were building the new rabbit annex?

:lol: If I buy stackers I could put them in our office trailer... :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":23t7l80k said:
skysthelimit":23t7l80k said:
Maybe if I stop looking a rabbit will come to me?

Y'know what they say about love...

Maybe the rabbit of your dreams will come to you carried by your Knight in rabbit fluff covered armor? :clover:

From your lips to G-d's ears. I need a pair of red Rex and Siamese Sable Holland lop...I'm not that picky about the other.

MamaSheepdog":1ahx0zsr said:
Actually, it is rather odd, but Hubs doesn't seem to care what kind of bunny I bring home. I don't know if he has just completely surrendered or what. :hmm: Perhaps he has a sub-clinical Rabbitosis infection.
Sounds like Rabbitosis Submitosis var. Subliminosis to me.

:thinking: Well hopefully I can isolate the Rabbitosis Submitosis virus and cause it to replicate... just think of the revenue stream I can generate by selling doses to the spouses of individuals with Rabbitosis Resistosis. :p

Latest posts

Back