what should i feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shop vac is fine, just get the 4-5 Hp and the reducer nozzle. And do it outside :D There will be fur flying everywhere!! Whatever you get, it should be powerful enough to seperate the fur of a full coat all the way to the skin. When I blow my buns in the winter, using my shop vac, I finish them with a short blow from the hair dryer to put the warm air back into the coat, otherwise, the bun has to spend time blowing warm air back into their coat.

When introducing the bun to the blower noise, I would suggest that you simply groom as you normally do, then turn the vac on in the position you will be using it, let it run for a bit, then turn it off and give the bun a treat. You will probably want to keep your hand on the bun's shoulder while doing this until it will sit there quietly. Next is to introduce it to the business end of the nozzle ... hold the bun firmly across the shoulders and blow the hind end towards the head. Once the bun is accepting of this, start moving forward on the body until you are able to blow all, shielding the eyes and base of ears with your free hand. You may also find that a large lazy susan is helpful ... just tack a piece of carpet/heavy cloth to the surface for them to grip :D

As for wool block, there is really no need for papaya or other supplements if you feed a good quality hay at least 2-3x per week. I make a hay rack from the wire left from cutting the door out and hang it on the outside of the cage. It keeps the hay out of the angora's fur :p And good fiber can also be from hardwood branches ... and they love to chew on them LOL

Back