what should i feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2g5nld2i said:
wow. thanks msd,, I will not give it to them anymore..

You're welcome. :)

I wouldn't NOT give it to them. In light of the information regarding it thinning the blood, I would stop about a week to ten days before kindling, but still give it at other times.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":83306bqw said:
I was going to stop giving it to them all together.. because the sugar was to high.

You are using the store-bought dried pineapple, with the sugar crystals on the outside? You could just slice that off or rinse with water until you get something else.

Adolf's meat tenderizer contains bromelain. You could also mix that with their food if you don't have sifting feeders. I have tried mixing it in my JW's water bottles, but it seems to just stick to the sides, so I don't know if it is effective or not.

Health food stores also sell tablets that contain papaya and pineapple enzymes. I occasionally offer them to my rabbits. I figure the ones that take them need them, and the ones that refuse are fine without.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":83306bqw said:
but you are saying it is ok to give it to them unless they are about to kindle.

Yes. Bromelain is an anti-coagulant. When the placentas detach, they leave a wound, which is why there is bloody discharge (lochia) after giving birth. You don't want to compromise the blood's ability to seal off the wounds where the placentas were attached.

The purpose of feeding hay is to keep the guts moving and all angoras should get hay regularly.
Pineapple and papaya help to dissolve any wool in the stomach.

If you groom with a blower on a regular basis, and Im talking a couple times a week minimum for an animal in coat and pluck out the shedders right away, in combination with regular feeding of hay, then wool block should never be an issue.

Personally, I dont use papaya or pineapple. Not because I don't think it works, it does, but I don't have time and I never think of it. I don't have wool block issues. The key is keeping them groomed with a blower and feeding hay. If there is no loose hair for them to eat, they won't.

Is it noisy Msd...Do they try to run from it.. I have enough scratches :) ...

what is the price on something like that.. haven't seen any of those around.. Ok, here is a numb question.. Why cant I use a human hair dryer.. wouldn't it do that same thing.. and just use the cool setting. I have lots of those lying around

No, it's not powerful enough. I have a 4HP vacuum blower. It can blow a German Shepherd dry in no time.

I put the buns in a basket on the dog grooming table. They hunker in the basket, and every so often try to get out, but I hold them down by the head and it's not really a problem.<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 am __________<br /><br />But, I also wear kevlar sleeves.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":29l4c89e said:
Is it noisy Msd...Do they try to run from it.. I have enough scratches :) ...

Yes, it is pretty loud. The newer ones might be more quiet than mine though.

I do my JWs on my lap or a grooming table, but Sky's method of using a basket is a good one. They get used to it quickly though- but my JWs are done so quickly because they are so tiny they don't have much time to get upset about it. :)

If you have electricity near your rabbits you could turn it on while they are in their cages just to get them used to the noise.

3 minutes maybe. Maybe less. At 4HP, I blow hair off the dogs and leaves across the yard.

They are pricey, but they are very well made. I don't know how long they last in a busy grooming shop, but for home use I doubt you would ever need to buy another one.

I think mine was around $250 or $300... what are they running now?

Back