Zabs Rabbits - picture thread :D

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
I clipped the nails on my rabbits today and figured I'd take pictures and make a thread here showing each rabbit on its own :D

So, starting with the bucks.

First, of course, my Kori.

1471837_598850033483376_611962423_n.jpg

My first buck, part of the trio I got last year :) He's a Svensk Pälskanin, old heritage breed. Not very large, they're generally less than 4kilos.

1460033_598850106816702_228734577_n.jpg

Sir Petalot. My new Belgian hare you already know about :lol: An important part of my new plan to breed more elegant meat rabbits.

1422493_598850130150033_1448645507_n.jpg

Rams. European Checkered Giant. He's like a big bear! :lol: As long as he has Dragon there to comfort him, he's quie friendly and nice. But he's a big, scared and aggressive rabbit if he lives on his own (no problems taking him out fro the cage or so, but a few days of being lonely makes him grumpy)

1455202_598849953483384_365953861_n.jpg

Dragon, de-sexed buck and company to Rams. :) He keeps Rams in a good mood and because of that h's an important part of my set up.

The does:
1017500_598849956816717_784888005_n.jpg

Dill. Full sister to Dragon and born here. She's kept as a breeding doe but has not yet had her first litter. She'll be mated with Petalot once he's out of quarantine.. Rams is a bit big for a first timer and Kori is her father. Kummin is her mother.

1991_598850040150042_1753196206_n.jpg

Kummin. One of the does in my first trio. :) Kyndel is her full sister, and Dill and Dragon her offspring. She's a good mother leaving nice and friendly kits.

644517_598850103483369_378289477_n.jpg

Kyndel, the last of the rabbits in my original trio. She leaves nice kits and is a good mother, though she's not as pretty as her sister. She doesn't have a lot of white hairs and her shape is often pretty odd, but she is a good rabbit.

In the other doe-pen I have these two:
561997_598850246816688_1496903328_n.jpg

Spira I bought her together with Rams but they're unrelated. Also a european Checkered Giant. Somewhat grumpy at times and not too fond of being petted, but easy enough to trim her claws and tend for. I have yet to see her mothering skills, hopefully sooner rather than later :)

1394402_598850280150018_1384425919_n.jpg

Sotöra. A cross between Svensk Pälskanin (Kyndel) and a solid black checkered giant I had before. She's almost the same size as Spira and I hope for kits from her as well soon. A little shy, but nice.

Aaaand.. the 4 current kits :)
1459178_598850016816711_1208674881_n.jpg

They're getting a bit crowded with Kyndel, Kummin and Dill, but hopefully next weekends I can put them into the ''free range'' pen. I put concrete in it today and then I'll sanitize it with natrium hydroxide once the concrete are finished.

Those are the rabbits here right now :)

Good photos! Between my hands shaking, the bunnies twitching, and my camera phone being not such good quality, my shots always look like the buns have extra ears! One of these days, I will set up the tripod and use the real camera. Love your bunnies, especially the black ones!

Wow Zab, I had no idea you had so many rabbits in your herd! :p

Great photos!

Sir Petalot looks like he is standing on his tippy-toes... I think he needs a "Lady TippyToes". :mrgreen: Mostly because I want to see pics of baby hares romping in your pens. Or yard. :D

DLL - :D ... the secret is good light so you have a short exposure time.. I used a flash on some. Thank goodness for Nikons ''no red eye flash'' :D
I don't have a triposd..I want one though..

MSD - I got surprised as well..like "I have 13 rabbits? When did they show up?! I've only bought 3!..oh, right.. then that came.. and that.. and.. but.. 9 keepers?!"

:lol: Peta will date Dill, I think those babies will be hare-ish enough :p And then Spira, and Sotöra, and Kyndel.. Kummin had a date with Rams yesterday..
..bt that doesn't mean I won't eventually get a new hare... and a lady flemish.. and a lady checkered because Spira isn't as big nor as tame as the ones Petas breeder has.. and.. uhm..<br /><br />__________ Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:47 am __________<br /><br />I can't decide if I should de-sex Kori..

He doesn't really have anything I need in my herd. But he was my first buck, the one I figured I'd keep forever and ever.. :lol: For size and fine bones I have Peta now, and for size and colour I have Rams. Dill has Koris lovely silvering. I only have two bucks pens..
My plan is to let Kori run with his wives, Kyndel and Kummin (even when he lived with Spira and Sotöra he only had eyes for those two) but I'm not sure I want him to constantly mate with them.
I could neuter him.. but what if I regret it later? :O Though I think he'd have a good influense on their kits if he lived with them.

Yeees.. but the option to neutering him is to kill him.. :/ I don't have the space for him unless he can go with the does.. and if he goes with them intact they won't get kits. I don't know why, but they won't.. I guess they figure there's no rush since they have a buck. But none of my attempts keeping him with the does resulted in kits, even with good fall offs.. as soon as he's not with them they kindle though..<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 pm __________<br /><br />I might give it one other try, keeping him away from Kummin some 3 weeks or so untill she should be so long gone with Rams kits that he won't make her resorb them, or whatever they do when he's around and they refuse getting preggers.

Then again if they start getting preggers too often all of a sudden I'll have to deal with it anyhow..

:lol: Yeah... of course.. but he has no purpose in my herd or breeding plans.. and noone wanna buy him.

hehe sure, you're paying?

I've seen how close he is to his ''wives'' Kummin and Kyndel. He really has eyes only for those, despite living with other does... they're his harem. He's so upset when other bucks get to them (if he sees it), but doesn't mind if there's a buck with the other does. I figure he deserve to live with them now. He has been a good rabbit and it's so obvious the three of them bonded something special. I don't think I could sell him away from them. Call me soft.. :lol:

Thank you! :)<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 am __________<br /><br />New pictures :)

I had planned to move Kori, Kyndel and Kummin out into the concrete-laid pen and eventually into a free range. But the concrete takes its sweet time to harden/dty properly, which means I don't want to use natrium hydroxide to sanitize it yet.
However, Kyndels kits are getting crowded with the three adults in the indoor pen, I can see white marks where they've been bitten and since that never happened before I figure it's because the pen got smaller when I divided it. They're 9 week old or so now. Also I want Sir Petalot to get out of the smallish quarantine cage. It's not a full months quarantine but he's stayed healthy and hasn't shown the least sign of being sick after being in the photo-pen where the others had been. So, he's now in Koris cage, which is a few metres away from all the others, but within sight. :)

I put him in on the top-pen of Koris cage first. He seemed to think something like "What a lousy, boring cage! Why did she put me in here? No hay, no hideout, no food and no water.. what is she thinking? What am I... a hole? Why is there a hole in my cage? Who dares to....OOOOoooooh!" :lol:

1453480_600812753287104_1013540110_n.jpg

And Kori was of course not in that cage when Peta got there. :) He's out in one of the grow-out pens. I decided to sanitize them both with the hydroxide but wait with the concrete-pen. So Kori got to move out to one of the pens and the four kits moved out to the other, letting the mothers have some rest! :lol:
I figure that within a month, Kummin should have a litter with Rams. I'd like to keep one of that litter with Dill, and then move Kummin and Kyndel out to the concrete pen, which should be dry by then. Not quite sure what to do with the kits, possibly letting her stay a few weeks extra with them and just move Kori to the concrete pen - I should remove the single doeling from her brothers within a month anyway and I'll need Koris pen then.

Well, for now they're outside :)
1459752_600811636620549_1181414697_n.jpg

1471373_600812646620448_974665938_n.jpg

Such beautiful rabbits! Ugh, I adore other countries' rabbits. I just want to import all of them! XD Then again, that's how I feel about most rabbits. Still. You have some particularly lovely bunnies. :)

Wonderful buns. And I love that cage setup. How cold does it get in Sweden - do the buns handle it well? Assuming they either live in the outdoor cages majority of the time or somewhere unseated.

Back