WSDA Food Processors License

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
I've concluded that I need a WSDA Food Processors License to process and sell rabbits in my state. At $55, it seems like a very reasonable price.

However, I still do not know what the regulations are on processing within my city. I've looked up city ordinances and I can't find anything. Is there someone I can call to ask? I'm just not sure what to do from this point.

Thanks everyone!

Logan

I also live in WA, so will be interested in what you find out. Another breeder I know told me when I was getting started that you have to have specific equipment/set up to process in this state. It wouldn't surprise me.

I'd stop into a butcher shop and talk to them. I suspect a license is just the first step. You will probably have a series of inspections and revisions before you actually sell any meat. Insurance may be a requirement. Likely going into debt is encouraged if not required.

Please do post what you find.

Howdy neibors,

I live on Camano island and will start my rabbitry this spring. I plan to just raise some meat rabbits for personal consumption and sell live bunnys on craigs list but I have been kicking around the idea of bartering for goods instead of money. Have not looked into any rules regarding this practice yet. I suspect this would fly under the radar of any state regs.

I plan on doing a lot of bartering also. In fact, the guy I get my hay from (which is awesome hay w/grainheads and not sprayed!) likes rabbit meat, so I'm thinking about trading for hay b/c these kits and does eat a lot of hay!!! My gosh, I had no idea!!!

You would first need to call your local zoning office.

Not to get you side tracked, but you need to find out if processing/butchering is even allowed in your zoning.
If so, you may have to get a special variance with the city, which requires much work
with fees and requirements.
Around my neck, that would be roughly $600 fee

State level may be easier than local level, since at local it is dealing with actual neighbors and people directly affected.
But State may also be more costly since you will need requirements as for equipment and etc.

Everyone always says that there is not much profit in meat rabbits, but when you look at it at a small scale process,
be sure to go into debt. Do not lose you house over it...know when to get out before critical things happen.

Good Luck on everything.

Process in your basement-- dang it. Ohio's laws for rabbit and poultry processing for 'off farm' sale ar simpole00 and the space required is very small-- one can process in a shed, if one has a potable water source (wells are fine) and an approved waste disposal (septic, trash bags, composting)

Sorry old post bump....

Did any of you get anywhere with this?

I'm on the other side of the state, no zoning problems here.

Ah!! Other Washingtonians!!! Did you ever find anything out? I was only ever able to find out the city limit of "Adult livestock" for Everett. Which they classify any livestock (poultry, fowl, goats, rabbits, pig, cows etc) at anything over 12 weeks old.

From what I can figure you are better off selling live then "showing",the buyer how to process..no laws regarding teaching a friend how to butcher. :lol:

Back