wounded rabbit, help please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
One of my young bucks got out and into the cage of my young doe. I came out to find he had bit her up pretty bady. She has torn skin in a couple places on her back but its scabbing over. The big problem is a huge gash on her throat. Its a couple inches wide and very scary looking. It isnt bleeding really, the muscle doesnt look torn much and I dont think I can see any bone, but the huge tear in the skin worried me. I sprayed it with something to try and keep infection at bay but dont know what else to do. She is eating and drinking a bit and very active as well. I brought her inside to keep a close eye on. I want to save her because she is a pet to my family and also has promise as a breeding doe for me. What else should I do? What are her chances?

If you have Vetericyn or Blu-Kote, I would apply that to the wounds after cleaning them with a weak solution of Betadine and water. If the gash on her neck is still fresh (no scabbing) you can super glue the tissue back together. Leave a 1/2" or so open at the bottom to allow for drainage in case of infection.

It doesn't sound like she is very stressed, so hopefully she will heal up and be fine. Good luck! :clover:

Where would I get betadine? How to I wash the wound? She wont stay still much, she keeps climbing all over me, even onto my head! I just am worried of hurting her worse if I try and hold her still to do more.<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm __________<br /><br />I gave her a willow branch to chew on too for the pain, is that okay?

Betadine is available at feed stores. It is a 5% solution of povidone iodine- you may have something similar in your medicine cabinet.

They have a "surgical scrub" as well, which has soap added- you don't want that.

Mix with water so it looks like tea. I fill a syringe (with no needle) and squirt it into the wound. If you have a rubber bulb syringe, you can use that, or even a turkey baster.

Is there anyone that you could get to help you hold her?

Don't need to hold her, just spray the wound from as close as you can get to her.
I have a doe what tore a 2.5in section of skin off, the freaky thing was, I couldn't find the wound!! No blood, she was the only lilac one, so no other rabbit. She healed w/o issues and I still don't know where the skin came from.
As long as it's kept clean, keep the rabbit calm and out of any shock, it should heal with little issues.

I had a show doe who has another doe rip a patch of fur off down to the skin. I just super glued it back on after spraying it, and she went to the spring show good as new.

A willow branch is an excellent thing to give her for pain and as a distraction. Willow is not only good for its analgesic properties, it is also excellent as forage. The leaves are good for bunnies too. :) BTW, more than once I have chewed willow bark myself when I have run out of aspirin. It is bitter - but highly effective!

Hope she does well... I'm not too experienced with wounds so I will suggest you rely on the other posters for that information.

I've chewed bark too. Or no... I ate the leaves. It tasted like cat pee, al the way. But it is a pain reliever.

Flush the wound like MSD said, and then keep it as clean as possible. If you can get it back together and the drainage hole closes up on you, take a warm wet cloth and gently open the hole back up. Animals are fairly tough, if she's not in too much pain and its kept clean it should heal just fine. I just had a first time mom bite open her kit's cheek down to the bone when she tried to clean her while I was at work. It got full of fur and started to get infected. As soon as I found it, I cleaned out all of the fur and pus, and put a small dab of antibiotic ointment on it ( not recommended anywhere the rabbit can lick it, but hey, it was worth a chance since the kit would have died without help) and kept the drainage hole open for a few days to make sure the infection drained out. She'l never hit the show table because of the scar, but she's as healthy and happy as she can be four weeks later!

Oh, and if buck got in there with her, remember to mark the date on your calendar incase she got bred!

So she seems to be doing well, still eating, drinking, and active. Are we out of the woods yet? Her wounds look to be healing slowly, I dont think there is any infection but its hard to tell because she really doesnt like me looking at them. Actually, she really doesnt like me much right now because im the evil human who keeps spraying her with stuff. She loves the rest of my family though, so hopefully she warms up to me when she gets better.

It sounds to me like she will be just fine. :clap2:

If you have any Vetericyn or Blu-Kote, you can spray the wounds with that to aid in healing. Your main concern now is to make sure she doesn't get fly strike. Flies don't like Blu-kote, so that may be your best option, and it is less expensive than Vetericyn in any case. Both are available at feed stores.

It will stain anything it contacts purple, so wear gloves if you don't want to look like you have been auditioning for the "Blue Man Group". ;)

Ive been using vetericyn actually, i have blu kote as well though if that would be better. I have her inside and havent had any issue with flies yet, hopefully I wont. My biggest fear is infection, do I still need to worry abouy that? Also, amysuggestions on getting her to be a bit friendlier to me once this all is over?

I would continue with the Vetericyn. I doubt at this point you will have trouble with infection.

My method for taming rabbits is different from the slow approach that most RT members use. I discovered this by accident when I was prepping some does for a show. They were from my first litters which I didn't handle because I didn't want to get attached to them since they were destined for freezer camp- but I had kept back all of the does to breed, and they were a flighty bunch. :x

I wanted their coats to look as good as possible, so each day I removed them from their cages and groomed them for 5-10 minutes. I misted them lightly with a vinegar and water mix, and stroked them firmly from head to tail and tail to head. I also picked them up and set them down several times during these sessions, making sure to never set them down unless they were calm and not kicking or struggling.

When returning them to their cage, I did so rump first so they would not attempt to jump from my hands (this is always the best way to return a rabbit to its cage), and kept one hand on their shoulders and stroked them until they were relaxed before releasing them and giving them a treat. Some of the rabbits showed improvement immediately, and within a few days almost all of them would come to the front of the cage to be pet instead of hiding in the far corner of the cage.

Another good time to tame a doe is in the days after she kindles. The hormone prolactin is released during labor and lactation, and it is what causes animals (and people) to bond with their young. It is sometimes called "the feel-good hormone" because it causes a loving euphoria. By petting her during those first few days, she will connect you with that feeling of well being. :)

I have one doe, Magma, who would grumble at me constantly if I was in eyesight. I used the power of prolactin to my advantage, and she is now one of my sweetest does! :p

Latest posts

Back