Worst week ever...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
Sunday, my lovely friendly Golden retriever bit me. I now have a nasty bit on my hand, that may or may not be infected. I went and got it looked at and they gave me antibiotics. BOY does that hurt.

This morning my mom has me come catch my dads dog, he got out and headed for the chickens. At least this time, he didnt kill any like he did 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago he killed my 6 beautiful Rhode Island Reds.
So I got him back in his pen, and went inside.

About 2 hours later my mom comes in and says "What do I do?" she was holding my beautiful blue tort baby. They were just 2.5 weeks, and at there cutest. He had a huge gash on him. Apparently my dads dog got out again, and went under my rabbit mega-hutch. My mom said it looked like he only got the one baby. I went over to check, and another baby was missing a foot and another was gone. Momma bun and the 2 other babies looked ok, despite the one white baby being covered with blood. I looked at the doe in the next pen.

Her foot looked like a skeletons, the flesh was gone, but the bone and nails were there still. Next cage was my harlequin doe. missing 3 toes on the front foot, and two on a back. Then I came to my new beautiful chocolate doe. He managed to rip through the wire on her cage, and had really gotten her back legs. I went over to my super friendly, lovey buck, and he was missing a paw, but still had the bone.

So I put everyone in boxes, and my uncle took them out back. On the way there my mom saw a dead chicken and went to pick it up. That dog killed all 15 of my pullets too.

A couple of hours later we took the dog to the shelter and surrendered him. He is 10 years old. The worst part was, there was a daycare there learning about the shelter and they had just learned about people surrendering there dogs, and they looked like they wanted to spit on us.

I came home and checked on my momma rabbit, and she has a broken leg, I will have to keep her around for a week or so more, since she still has the 2 babies. When all is said and done, I only have 1 broken blue buck, one black doe and one red doe. It looks like I wont have ever have tricolors now.

Oh, Jessie! :cry:

I am so, so sorry!

What a horrible killing spree that dog went on!

I hope your three remaining rabbits will be okay. They are probably very stressed.

It would be a good idea to give them some type of electolytes- a lot of people give Gatorade.

I wish there was some way I could help. I hope you can find some rabbits to replace the lost ones, and that you will find some tri carriers, too.

I am so sorry that you have experienced such a devastating loss.

(((Enormous Hugs)))

Oh my that is horrible. All I can offer is that people you don't know (like me), care about what happened to you and your animals and that you are in our thoughts.

I am so so sorry to read this. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to see all the devastation.

I am glad that you at least know that the dog can't do any further damage.

(hugs)

*fingers crossed for the three babies*

Oh I'm so sorry Jessie [[HUGS]] That is a devastating thing to have happen! I hope the remaining bunnies are ok. :(

I am so sorry, Jessie! :cry: What a devastating blow!

I do hope your remaining rabbits will pull through alright. The doe with the broken leg might be able to heal up, especially if you splint her leg.

MSD has good advice... give them some electrolytes, a little extra boost to help them get past the stress.

So, so sorry. :grouphug:

I am so sorry about this happening.
I hope your remaining rabbits recover.
do not worry about the kids at the shelter, they do not know what happened or why you turned the dog over.
just try to keep looking ahead. things will get better.

Sounds like your title is pretty spot on. Sorry you had all the animals die. Hopefully with the dog of death gone you don't need to worry about it anymore.

I just keep thinking about that darned buck. He was the nicest rabbit I have ever had.

Then I hope that I will wake up tommorow ans will just have all been a horrible nightmare

It really stinks because I dont have the money to buy new rabbits, and i cant find ones that have what I need. I think I am gonna give up on the standard rex, until I have my own place someday

__________ Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 pm __________

You can see him sitting on his little table outside, in the background of the second picture too<br /><br />__________ Wed May 01, 2013 9:14 pm __________<br /><br />
ChickiesnBunnies":37ucu7hd said:
((hugs))

He should of shot the dog out back as well!

That was brought up, less trouble for everyone to pay the 25$ surrender fee

How horrible to see all that devastation. I wish you were near me I would send you some nice creams. I am glad that dog of death is gone. Those poor buns :cry: poor you what a nightmare. :-x

I'm sooo sorry, it's always hard loosing one, but when you loose sooo many at once its heartbreaking. :( If you wanted MR and were closer or I could find transport I would buy a few of my friend and just give them to you. She works with Tri's and has some nice babies right now.

I'm so sorry, Jessie! That dog is lucky he made it to the shelter! I would have shot him after the attack on the chickens two weeks ago!

Wow, how devastating. I'm so sorry about your bunnies and your chickens. It is odd that both the dogs suddenly changed behavior. Could they have gotten into a toxin of some sort or been exposed to an illness they may have contracted? It wouldn't bring your animals back, but if you still have the Golden, you might want to have it checked. Hope your remaining bunnies and chickens are doing okay. So sorry for your bad week.

did you cull that kit as well? If mom was okay that kit MIGHT have come back as well as long as he didn't go into shock. I've seen rabbit recover from tons of things... and toes missing they can recover from and don't cull that doe too quickly. Give her a chance to heal up.

OH SHOOT...

It's a horrid loss from a dog being ... less than appropriate.

ckcs":1hdtngpn said:
Oh my that is horrible. All I can offer is that people you don't know (like me), care about what happened to you and your animals and that you are in our thoughts.
:yeahthat:

Better said than I could.. I'm so sorry for the loss.

Latest posts

Back