worst doe ever and my super buck...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnfox

Reaction score
so my first two "silver foxes" (still on the fence about if my buck is all silver fox or part silver as well) got bred for the third and finally time so see if the doe would get it together and take proper care of them. well it was her worst attempt yet :/ had the in the middle of the cage and one died before I found them. Only four ;/ not in her nest box at all even though she used it last time :/. So one passed on do to being cold ..the other two are tiny (my lion head kindled same night and the kits are the same size o_O? needless to say this is the pair i got my "dwarf" from) Any way so I see three kits so not only is she a bad mom her litters are getting smaller.then I notice my buck...he is looking at me funny. His cage is directly under hers..and somehow one of the kits managed to fall? into his cage. it was warm(the others were ice cold and barely alive) and clean and happy since dad was letting it snuggle under him O.O Why does my buck have better maternal instincts then my doe?

silver fox or not I'm keeping my darling buck...maybe he can pass his instincts on to a daughter :p

Oh goodness lol. I have found that sometimes daddies make the best mommies. I had a Mini Rex buck once that I'd give all the bucklings to when we weaned because he loved having them so much. It was the cutest thing.

Sinnfox":2gj24wwa said:
so my first two "silver foxes" (still on the fence about if my buck is all silver fox or part silver as well) got bred for the third and finally time so see if the doe would get it together and take proper care of them. well it was her worst attempt yet :/ had the in the middle of the cage and one died before I found them. Only four ;/ not in her nest box at all even though she used it last time :/. So one passed on do to being cold ..the other two are tiny (my lion head kindled same night and the kits are the same size o_O? needless to say this is the pair i got my "dwarf" from) Any way so I see three kits so not only is she a bad mom her litters are getting smaller.then I notice my buck...he is looking at me funny. His cage is directly under hers..and somehow one of the kits managed to fall? into his cage. it was warm(the others were ice cold and barely alive) and clean and happy since dad was letting it snuggle under him O.O Why does my buck have better maternal instincts then my doe?

silver fox or not I'm keeping my darling buck...maybe he can pass his instincts on to a daughter :p

Sounds like a WONDERFUL buck!!! I dunno about the doe, some does seem to lack a brain when it comes to maternal instincts. :( My dad is still in shock that one of my does wouldn't care for her litter...she had them on the wire in a storm, we got them warmed up and in a nest box, and she wouldn't feed them. He kept saying things like "But she's their mother!" and "But they are her babies!" He looked so upset when I told him that some does just don't have the instincts for it.

Sounds like your doe and my doe Liz should get together and go bowling. They can be the Bad Mommas team. ;)

Sucks that you lost one though. :( Maybe one of the survivors is a doe kit and she'll be more like the buck than her mom?

oh my problem is any survivors from the past two litters (kits out of that doe then to not survive..failure to thrive type thing) are tiny. I'm thinking the two together is pulling up some weird recessive that either causes dwarfed kits or other issues.

Now the dwarf silvers are cute (so far only 4 bucks have survived all does and more then half the bucks have passed) but if they pass on the high kit mortality rate I don't see a point in developing it. I was tempted to make a dwarf line but well I don't like watching perfectly healthy friendly loveable kits (since they get their dads personality) suddenly start declining like crazy and being unable to stop it. I have checked them after and nothing seemed amiss inside so I can only think it has to be the mom, since every kit the dad fathered from another doe are doing great.

If the doe had at least tried to take care of them..built a nest or anything I'd try her with a different buck to see if the kit problems are only do to the combo of her and my super buck...but I can't bring myself to want to risk watching another litter die >.<

I hope the three current ones make it..but I hold little hope for a doe and and even less that if one is a doe it will make it :( Every doe so far has passed on rather quickly >.< if one did survive and reach a breeding age I guess I could check it with a test breeding to its brother? see if the mortality rate goes away? O-o but what would I do with a bunch of four pound adult silver foxes o_O

Sinnfox":a86f8kv8 said:
oh my problem is any survivors from the past two litters (kits out of that doe then to not survive..failure to thrive type thing) are tiny. I'm thinking the two together is pulling up some weird recessive that either causes dwarfed kits or other issues.

Now the dwarf silvers are cute (so far only 4 bucks have survived all does and more then half the bucks have passed) but if they pass on the high kit mortality rate I don't see a point in developing it. I was tempted to make a dwarf line but well I don't like watching perfectly healthy friendly loveable kits (since they get their dads personality) suddenly start declining like crazy and being unable to stop it. I have checked them after and nothing seemed amiss inside so I can only think it has to be the mom, since every kit the dad fathered from another doe are doing great.

If the doe had at least tried to take care of them..built a nest or anything I'd try her with a different buck to see if the kit problems are only do to the combo of her and my super buck...but I can't bring myself to want to risk watching another litter die >.<

I hope the three current ones make it..but I hold little hope for a doe and and even less that if one is a doe it will make it :( Every doe so far has passed on rather quickly >.< if one did survive and reach a breeding age I guess I could check it with a test breeding to its brother? see if the mortality rate goes away? O-o but what would I do with a bunch of four pound adult silver foxes o_O

...new breed? Mini Fox?

Maybe try a different doe with your super-buck? :)

I feel you on the stupid doe thing, I'm really hoping one of my does gets smarter, she had her one baby on concrete, there is only maybe a square foot of concrete in the whole pen, but apparently it looked like the perfect place to have a baby!

I really want a holland lop type rabbit with silver fox fur, silly I know.

I plan to try him to one of my other silver fox does soon...he is supposed to be pure silver fox...only thing that makes me doubt it is the offspring from the evil doe. if he produces normal perfect ones out of another doe then I am not sure what to think.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:39 am __________<br /><br />
dangerbunny":1d40y1f2 said:
I really want a holland lop type rabbit with silver fox fur, silly I know.

With as small as my silver buck out of thier first pairing is...I could try and make one :p I figure him paired to my fuzzy lop should keep the fur length >.> I know my fuzzy doe is a super mom so if the kits thrive I know it was just the survivor bucks moms fault, and if they fail I'll know it is genetic :(

Trick is how , if I were to get one all lop eared and silver foxy, would I get it to you?

dangerbunny":ynp4sjwh said:
lol, I don't actually *need* one, I just thought it would be cute
Of course...it wouldn't become a need till you finally got to see one :p

Latest posts

Back