Working on Magpie - Updated Pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniquilts

Reaction score
gallery/image.php?album_id=115&image_id=1516

5 of the 9 babies (other 4 are REW ) that were born to my Amer. Chin and harlequin meat mutt. We were hoping to get some magpies in the litter but sadly no dice. We will be keeping a male and female to breed together in hopes of getting some magpies. Will this work?

Yes. The AmChin has the chin gene, but the harlie has REW, and strangely enough, the chin gene did not pair with the REW gene. This time the two REW genes paird up. It's still possible that a repeated breeding of the original pair will get those two genes to meet up.

ahhhh ok - will give them another shot together. But if I take brother and sister from this litter , say the harlequin and the ermine and breed them will that result in Magpie's? My son was heartbroken that there were no magpies up in this litter. He wants a magpie blanket :)

Better to take a brother and sister and breed them back to the parents.

You will have mess around and see who has what gene. Since the amchin had a REW and a chin gene to give, and the harli had a C and Rew gene to give, you have no way to know which kits have the C, chd or c genes. The two you chose may not carry chd and c.<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 pm __________<br /><br />I hope I'm making sense, I'm a bit sleepy.

Where is Dood or Disney? Hopefully one of them will rescue me and I'll take a nap and give a better explaination later :)

Thank you Skysthelimit - we did not realize it was gonna be so difficult to produce magpie LOL We just assumed by putting the harlequin with the chin we would have a whole litter of magpies :) This genetics is quite complicated !!

In order to get it the first time, you would have had to know the harlie had a c gene, and that the AmChin did not have a c gene. With that c gene, the AmChin lowered the chance of getting magpies the first time. Instead of passing on two cchd genes, it passed on one c and one cchd http://www.barrowbunnies.com/id44.html. You know the REWs have no chin gene or they would be chin. Now the others might have the chin gene, or they have one C gene from the harlie and one c. They could be Cc, Ccchd, but none are cchdc or they would be chin/magpie, or cc and you have REW. The good thing is you know the AmChin has a e gene, or esle you would not have gotten any harlie kits, and that would have made things harder.

Here is the genotypes of your buck and doe

Harli Buck - Aa B_ Cc Dd ej e

Chin Doe - Aa B_ cchd c Dd ( or dd) Ee

Magpie - A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ej e

The ermine would have been a magpie if it got the Japanese gene and the harli just needed the chin gene! So close! The statistics gods were not being kind.

I would try the cross again.

If you want to keep any then I would pick the harli or ermine/frosty (which is chinchilla with non extension) which ever is female.

Normally I would say to check the eye colour once they are open since chin usually gives young kits a lighter eye compared to non chin carriers BUT you also have dilute/blue in the mix which can have the same effect.

Ok, so thanks to all of Dood and Disney's sharing of knowledge, I have followed almost all of this thread completely...

What I don't follow is the "ermine", cchd with e? Which one is it in the pic? Black with white crest??

GypsyTinker the Ermine is the one that appears to be white in the photo. However, if you look close the ears and the nose have slight shading on them. When the sun comes up a bit more I will take pictures of that kit and of it beside the white ones. It is hard to capture how it looks in real life on my camera - maybe with income tax I will get lucky and be able to buy a better camera :) In person the Ermine kit has a slight silver cast to it. The father to this litter carries the Vienna gene - the only one in the litter that shows the Vienna marking is the little black kit.

Yes Dood, I have a BEW project going in my meat mutts :) My son tans the hides - he is working on a blanket for his bed! And thank you Dood - you are a wealth of genetic information !!!<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:10 am __________<br /><br />

Here is a picture of the Ermine kit (bottom) and the White kit (top) side by side :)

i get magpies crossing jap harle (carrying the chin gene) with tricolours and chins. They are a neat looking rabbit. :)

I agree they really are a stunning looking rabbit - my boy Wade - his goal is to have a throw for his bed made from all magpie furs :) It will be the second throw he has made, not bad for an 11 yr old :)

Back