witchy had 1.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracie123

Reaction score
She is a 1st time mom. Was told to rebreed her asap .if i breed her now will she have a bigger litter. But it is cute lil thing. Breed is new zealand.
Thank you for any advice on this.
Tracie

Attachments

• 102312190001.jpg
    102312190001.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 261
rebreed and watch that the little one doesn't get overfed, you don't want to end up with a hippo!

K thank you. Will rebreed her in the morning.
Bad Habit~ how will I know its being over feed? This is my 2nd litter, and i am stilll so new to this. Lol

She'll be very fat, lol. Others should be able to chime in with more info about caring for a singleton, I know it's more involved than caring for a full litter though.

What a cute little popple! :p

Do you have any other kits that you can foster to Witchy, or foster the kit to another doe? It will have a hard time keeping warm all by itself. You should also either pull fur from her sides and belly to line the nest, or use fluffed up cotton balls, feathers, or even dryer lint to line the nest. You should gather enough to put under and over the kit. If it is getting chilly at night your best option may be to bring the nest inside and take it out in the morning. If the day is warm you could leave it out, but otherwise I would bring it in again.

MSd~I have a litter that is 2 weeks old and they are all over the place and wont stay in there nest except for 1, and that mom is a lil crazy, can i take the smallist from her and put it with this lil 1?

I think it would be better than leaving it all alone, but even the runty one will be leaving the nest soon.

You might PM Ladysown- she fosters kits a lot more often than I do, and might have experience with an age gap like that.

Not too long ago I fostered a newborn to a doe that had 2 week old babies. :) No problems, but this was a really laid-back mommy. When I have does overfeeding their babies, I put the nestbox in the house and bring the box to mom every morning to make sure she isn't doing "secret feedings".

I rebreed witchy this morning the buck serviced her 4 times,. Witchy did not feel the lil one so i took bluebell out and fliped her over and let the baby feed. It stayed warm during the night with all the cotten balls and dryer lint that we put with her. Baby is nice and fat and warm this morning.
Tracie

3mina":2r7myade said:
Kits die just as quickly from overfeeding as underfeeding

Oooooooh! Glad I didnt know that when Twitchy had just two! Shall remember it for the future though.

See, I learn things all the time on here :D

Latest posts

Back