Winning friends and influencing Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I've had my new buns (two bucks, two does) for a week. They have settled into their new condos (hanging cages) and are eating well. They have tasted as a few dogwood leaves (loved them) and white clover flowers and leaves (one flower each and a few leaves) (loved those).

Here's the thing: one of the does is a nervous Nelly :bunnyhop: . When my son has tried to hold her to calm her (she was hopping off the walls) she screamed at him. Now, she gets all nervous whenever he approaches her cage. She is also nervous around Mother but to a lesser extent. She is calmer with me but still not trusting--she seems to like that I sing to her. I'd like to offer some high value treats to teach her to trust us but I don't want to upset her stomach. Suggestions? I'd rather her want to be held rather than her freaking out every time.

It can take a month or more for new buns to get used to you and to their new surroundings. I like to give small apples as treats. At first, they look at you like, "What's this you're trying to give me? Is it something to eat?", but they'll play with it, maybe take a test nibble after a while, then figure out what to do with it.

Talking to them in a calm, soothing voice whenever you're around them helps. This site might help, as well:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Mine go crazy for "Dobby's Delights Apple-Oat Horse Cookies". They are relatively inexpensive at TSC. A tiny bit of greens to start as you are doing is great too. Parsley, cilantro, dandelion, or even grass is good. Just make sure it hasn't been sprayed with anything.

When you say "small apple" what do you mean, exactly? Are you talking about giving them a whole uncut apple? How small is "small"?

We, my family and I, are completely infatuated with these buns. I'll explain to the family that we have to give them time to learn to trust us.

Frecs":3a51mbqr said:
When you say "small apple" what do you mean, exactly? Are you talking about giving them a whole uncut apple? How small is "small"?

Yes, a whole, uncut apple. They actually can do fine with any size apple, but since those are treats (bunny candy), I try to find the smaller ones (around 3" diameter) or cut a larger one in half.

We, my family and I, are completely infatuated with these buns. I'll explain to the family that we have to give them time to learn to trust us.
Exactly! With our first buns, we thought they were NEVER going to quit freaking out every time we went out there (we were keeping them in the garage), especially when we would use the electric garage opener. We lost the first buck to an abcess some time ago, but the doe is the friendliest bun we have now, always coming to the front of the cage for petting and rubbing noses.

Fresh safe weeds (dandelion, clover etc.) are great treats because they are nutritious. You are wise to start them off slowly, but you can gradually work up the amounts. If you've been giving a clover flower and a few leaves, up it to two flowers and a half dozen leaves. As long as you make the increases gradually, they will have no problems.

Another thing my rabbits really like is a cube of air-dried whole grain bread. I cut a slice into quarters and then quarter those. "Bunny croutons" are a top treat here.

I've had my buns for almost a week and they are eating and drinking well. And I know it will take time for them to let down their guard. The does will be 4 months old on the 26th of this month and the buck will be 5 months old the middle of this month. The fields are covered in clover and I was thinking about harvesting it before the farmers plow them over. Some will be dried for storage and some I was planning on feeding fresh. I know to start slow but am concerned about their age.
Will it be ok to give them fresh greens at their age?

Cathy, start slow with small pieces and it should be fine.

One of my buns' favorite treats is dried pineapple. If I go to the rabbitry with that in hand, the buns go nuts.

One more thought for Frecs. Not all buns like being held. That may never change. Maybe try harness training her for walks as a way to interact with her that she might like better than being held.

Wow, what a walk down memory lane! :D

As someone mentioned, not all rabbits like to be held and the Silver Foxes that I started with proved to be of that ilk. They don't mind being petted but held has never been something they like.

This weekend, I'll be picking up a trio of Standard Rex and I'm hoping they will be a little more inclined to like to be held. I'm glad I saw this thread resurrected as a reminder to take it easy and give lots of bribes. :p

Latest posts

Back