Will bucks in a colony rebreed pregnant does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audrey0001

Reaction score
I’ve had two does in a colony like setup for about a year now. Just about a month ago I decided to move my buck in with them. They’ve been doing fine and since it’s been 29 days I decided to move in a nest box, in case they were about to give birth. Neither of them are showing signs they are close, no hay mustache or fur pulling, but they are very round looking and grumpy. But today I noticed my buck chasing them around. He has never done this even when I first put him in. Does this mean they aren’t pregnant or should I worry about him trying to breed them while they are pregnant. I was going to move him out as soon as I saw they were close to having babies, but now I’m not sure.
View attachment 6EF8829D-2141-4833-9743-786AFEF560D6.mov
Video of the 3 of them

Bucks will 100% go after Does no matter if they're pregnant or not

To increase the Kits' safety in advance I'd suggest removing him for a few weeks

Bucks will always try to breed does. They don't care lol. But in my somewhat limited colony experience the buck seemed to be able to tell the does had a change close to birthing, probably hormone change. I once caught a doe in the nest birthing and she had the nest blocked off and the buck was standing watch outside. Soon as she came out they bred. Luckily the buck didn't seem to care about the nest. But that seems to vary by individual.

I keep the buck with the does until day 25 or so. Then I remove him, nothing gets a buck more horny than a kindling doe, they don't even let her finish and rebreed her as soon as they get the chance - had this once due to a Sex Change Fairy visit to the growout hutch, kits survived though.

So I too remove the buck in time, and keep him away as long as I don't want another litter. Kits grow better when they aren't weaned, and I really do not need that many rabbits.

I’ve had two does in a colony like setup for about a year now. Just about a month ago I decided to move my buck in with them. They’ve been doing fine and since it’s been 29 days I decided to move in a nest box, in case they were about to give birth. Neither of them are showing signs they are close, no hay mustache or fur pulling, but they are very round looking and grumpy. But today I noticed my buck chasing them around. He has never done this even when I first put him in. Does this mean they aren’t pregnant or should I worry about him trying to breed them while they are pregnant. I was going to move him out as soon as I saw they were close to having babies, but now I’m not sure.
View attachment 39461
Video of the 3 of them
I raise my rabbits in a large colony. My experience the does control the breeding, I will have periods where all the does will refrain from being bred by not rising for the buck.
My does took a break from November and started breeding again in January, kits out of the hole in February.

Latest posts

Back