Wild baby bunnies...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrydenDan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a wild brown bunny that has a white snout and white going up the face between the eyes..We have this adorable baby about 5 weeks old that is hanging by the chicken coop that has this white on his face..First on I seen like that..Was just curious...Dan

Well here is a pic i got of it the other day..sorry about the quality it's with my phone.

Attachments

• wildbabybunny.jpg
    wildbabybunny.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 611
Whoa....Ummmm...I am with peach on this one. That is a LOT of white & by that size any wild rabbit would not have any white. I think he is a stray.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 am __________<br /><br />Catch him & find out!!!!

He is with 3 other babies and his momma trying to get into the garden..they are wild..that's why I thought it was strange..we have watched him grow the last three weeks..I will try and get some more with his momma and siblings..they are by the coop everyday eating out of whats coming up in our food plot turned pumpkin patch..Dan

Genetic trial and error still happens, never stops, could easily be just that.

DrydenDan":j8fggqrw said:
He is with 3 other babies and his momma trying to get into the garden..they are wild..that's why I thought it was strange..we have watched him grow the last three weeks..I will try and get some more with his momma and siblings..they are by the coop everyday eating out of whats coming up in our food plot turned pumpkin patch..Dan

I would still be willing to bet that he is a feral domestic that someone released, along with Mama and litter mates. Feral is different than "wild"...There are lots of domestic rabbits that are Chestnut or Agouti colored and they look very similar to wild rabbits.

The rest of the litter looks like momma and the 30 other bunnies running wild on our 10 acres..Just this one is messed up..lol..Dan

I have never seen a wild rabbit have a white blaze like that. Very interesting. You'll have to try and see if there are any others that have some excessive white markings or are different than the normal color.

I've seen young cottontails with a very small light blaze on the forehead, but never one with anywhere near that much white. It would be interesting to know for sure if the bunny family is truly wild or just feral.

The only time a truly "wild", meaning not a feral domestic, rabbit has a forehead blaze of any kind is when they are still too young to care for themselves. Even then, it is very small and looks like a swipe of paint on their forehead. Take a look at this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cottontail

Very interesting stuff...

In the area I live in with the amount of foreclosures, the local humane society always has 3-5 bunnies they catch running around. Even thou they are different species they will breed with released domestic rabbits.

Where I live its all 10 acre plots or bigger..I highly doubt if someone let them go they would not survive with the coyotes, cats and other predators around here..That little bunny has 3 other siblings and was with momma eating clover every day and night..I am almost 100% positive they are wild...Everything about them when you see them is wild except the white on the one..Dan

Back