White snot with no sneezing Update Graphic photos

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseysWoolies

Reaction score
My newest buck has white snot and wheezing when I pick him up. Absolutely no sneezing so far. Is this surely snuffles? I haven't heard him sneeze one time. I do plan on culling him today but I just was wondering about this. It is very sad and disheartening. He comes from such an amazing bloodlines and is a beautiful animal it would really be a shame to put him down.

Thank you, he is gone. He wasn't owned by a breeder really but someone who got a trio from a breeder to start out with show rabbits. Sadly due to life circumstances she had to give up her rabbits. I told her about his snuffles and she told me she would refund my money and to go ahead and put him down. Here are the photos of when I opened him up. His liver and intestines looked normal. When I removed them though this is what it looked like.
8203448530_330590a36b_z.jpg

Here are his lungs :(
8202358377_1c83491afa_z.jpg

Thanks it was really tough because this was a gorgeous rabbit. His sire won BOB at national convention last your so you can imagine that I was excited to have him. :(
8167550632_1f3b5fed08.jpg

I know how exciting it is to have a baby from a BOB or BOSB. I am really sorry that this has happened. I hope that there is no way for it to spread to the rest of your herd. So very sorry you had to put him down.

Thats good. I hope it all turns out ok. I never even knew pasturella existed until coming on RT. Now I will be aware and watching for it.

Make sure to disinfect THOROUGHLY after handling him and anything he came in contact with. I am so sorry you had to go thru this....

He was a gorgeous rabbit. So sorry you had to put him down! Those are bad lungs, though, as the others have said. They should be a uniform, very light pink, not purple with white blotches. Poor thing was quite ill, and would not have made it.

Poor little guy. :(

I'm sorry you had to cull him, but you did the right thing. I know doing the necropsy must have been difficult as well, but I feel it is so important to assess the organs for future reference.

Do you have a steam cleaner? I fill mine with vinegar and steam the cages with that. You could also pour boiling water over it. Or spray it down with rubbing alcohol or a ten percent bleach and water solution. Then scrub well with dish soap and a stiff brush. Whatever you use, rinse well with water because the wire can rust or corrode from the salt in the bleach or the acid in the vinegar. If you can, leave it out in the sun for a week afterward.

bleach, alcohol, hot water, I have used nolvasan on myself, kills just about evert thing, but costs alot. spray the ground,your shoes anything and every thing. Im a freek about contamanation seen to many dogs, horses, cats, goats and chickens go down. Had chickens give horaes sickness.

So sorry to hear about your loss. But you truly did the right thing by him and by your rabbitry.

Karen

I burn mine with a torch. You have to be careful not to melt the galvanizing, though.

Definitely leave it out in the sun for a while, though, turning it every couple of days.

Back