When to separate?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopsided

Reaction score
Alright so I was wondering, when do you guys separate your kits? I have a litter of 7 weanlings, five of which are bucks and two are does. I plan to put the bucks out in my large rabbit hutch/tractor and keep the two does in a 30x30 or a 30x36 cage. They will be turning five weeks old in a couple of days and I was planning to separate them at 6-8 weeks old, depending on how they are doing. Will all of the bucks be okay with each other? Also, I plan to keep both does out of this litter. If I were to grow them out in a rabbit tractor/hutch and bred them would they be alright with having their babies in the same space since they were raised together? I really like the idea of this and I will probably just experiment with it at first. Thoughts?

Okay thank you. I had to wean this litter early at 2 and a half weeks because the mom rejected them and became very violent with them. Thank you!

If I were to grow them out in a rabbit tractor/hutch and bred them would they be alright with having their babies in the same space since they were raised together

This totally depends on the individual rabbits.
Some may be fine together and some may try to kill each other. Since the doe who produced them was fairly high strung...there is a chance it may run in the lines. You will have to watch them closely and be ready to separate if they start getting violent

I just separated mine out at 7 weeks (yesterday). With a litter of 9, I put the one buckling in his own smallish cage, two spellings doelings, who will be going to the same home, in one 40x18, and three doelings each in my two 30x36 cages.

They were all in a 30x36 together until that point. I had noticed a bit of scuffling between them and they are all playing humping games. :roll:

Zass":14dsmghr said:
If I were to grow them out in a rabbit tractor/hutch and bred them would they be alright with having their babies in the same space since they were raised together

This totally depends on the individual rabbits.
Some may be fine together and some may try to kill each other. Since the doe who produced them was fairly high strung...there is a chance it may run in the lines. You will have to watch them closely and be ready to separate if they start getting violent

I agree w/ Zass , it really does depend upon the rabbits.

My Rex I have left together until about 12 weeks on more than a few occasions, if someone starts being nasty I remove the individual. I kept a buck & doe out of my last litter and they stayed in the same cage until week 14 without any issues.

My crossbreeds I cant leave together past week 8-9 or the fur starts flying.

The slower growing rex don't reach maturity quite as fast so don't start the associated "adult" behavior as early either.

The difference in growth rate between two "breeds" of rabbit that reach relatively the same size at maturity is pretty amazing.

Latest posts

Back