When do bucks hit sr weight?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
Im trying to decided how much more they will gain if any. What age do they slow down and stop putting on weight. I just weighed my bucks yesterday and this is there weights.
Buck 1 my oldest and main buck NZW under a yr weight 6lb 8oz he will be culled i think he is way to small and some of my problems ive got with small fryers could be from him. Hoping to sell him to someone as he is a lovebug.
Buck 2 Nzw, Califiona,?? Around 7 months old weight 7lb 10 ounces i like the look of him he just looks huge
Buck 3 NZW 4 month old 7lb 5 ounces i cant wait tell i can use him if he is this big already. He weighed 5 pounds at 10 weeks he has been the biggest fryer i have had. My average at that age is 4 pounds.

Senior Weight for Cal Bucks is:
At eight months and older, 8 to 10 Lbs.
Ideal weight: 9 Lbs.
Senior Does: 8 1/2 to 10 1/2 lbs.
Ideal weight: 9 1/2 Lbs.
Newzealand Bucks eight months and older:
9 to 11 lbs. Ideal weight: 10 lbs.
Does: 10 to 12 lbs. Ideal weight: 11 lbs.
Does that help?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Everyone might have slightly different opinions on things but I shho for weights of 9 pounds by 5 months, a little more for does(which usually have 1st litters by this age). By 6 months they should be at or above minimum weights for respective sexes if they are gonna stay in my barn. I use the scales on a regular basis as I feel its the most important tool in selecting for those traits which make a profit and make good rabbits all around. BIG does is what I like.and the bucks dont have to push the upper limit but do need to be of very good type.<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:33 am __________<br /><br />Different breeders can have different ideas and what I post are just my personal observations, mostly. I do respect others opinions but I may differ in mine !

Alright thanks Ottersatin i think 2 of my bucks are doing good but the first one which i know is around 9 10 months will not probably grow anymore. Looks like my 2nd buck will gain atleast a pound more since he has 2 more months to grow. So he might hit the 9 pound mark. Im hoping my 3rd buck keeps growing. if he keeps on the same weight gain he should be 9 pounds by 9 months.
Longtail i wish my rabbits were that size. Maybe in a yr or 2 ofter strict culling i could be close.

Latest posts

Back