What's this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disney

Reaction score
Sunday, i flipped my doe over to check her vent if it had the right color for breeding.
It looked swollen and infected with white fluid in it and crusts around it. I washed it clean and gave her a antibiotics, everyday and it looks better now but still. I wonder how it happened.
It can't be a bitewound, she is the dominant female and nobody dares to get in her way.
So how did it get to this?

And what is the thing in the middle that pops out? Doesn't look normal at all!

Pictures taken today.

2nvgw2.jpg

2n02bki.jpg

rba33p.jpg

I looked it up and you may be right.. *gasp*
But Syphillis also infects the nose and my doesn't have that symptom.

Also, it is contagious and she lives in a colony so the others would have had the same symptom as her by now.

Will mail pictures to the vet.

Thankyou!

Disney":1k4mzsj3 said:
I looked it up and you may be right.. *gasp*
But Syphillis also infects the nose and my doesn't have that symptom.

Also, it is contagious and she lives in a colony so the others would have had the same symptom as her by now.

Will mail pictures to the vet.

Thankyou!

I'd say it all depends on how long she's had it. You seem like you keep a pretty good eye on your rabbits so she might not have had it that long.

It's still best idea to send pics to vet like you're doing though. Let us know what they say they think it is.

I'd say it's definitely vent disease. They may or may not have scabs on the nose. It is very treatable but is also very contagious. :/

Any idea how the bacteria reached her? I clean the pen everyday.
Will make an appointment with the vet.

This was the best I was able to find. http://www.helium.com/items/1390994-rabbit-syphilis-symptoms-and-treatment

My only question would be how did the rabbit get vent disease if none of the other rabbits had it and my only guess would be that it's like a random plant that pops up in a garden. Sometimes it just happens. Good thing you caught it early on. Make sure to quarantine her and don't breed until it's taken care of...if it is indeed vent disease.

Disney":14toibm9 said:
Any idea how the bacteria reached her?

A while back, I believe you were considering taking one of your does to an outside buck for breeding. If you did so, he may have infected the doe, and she could have transferred it by mounting the others.

I am not sure if syphilis lives long on surfaces, but it is something you should ask the Vet or do an internet search for the answer. You may need to thoroughly disinfect the colony and hutches.

I'm guessing syphilis and thinking only rabbits that have it real bad or it's ignored end up with the nose break outs.

MamaSheepdog":37e4mjju said:
Disney":37e4mjju said:
Any idea how the bacteria reached her?

A while back, I believe you were considering taking one of your does to an outside buck for breeding. If you did so, he may have infected the doe, and she could have transferred it by mounting the others.

I am not sure if syphilis lives long on surfaces, but it is something you should ask the Vet or do an internet search for the answer. You may need to thoroughly disinfect the colony and hutches.

Yes but that doe doesnt live in the colony anymore, she's taken out a while back and has her own cage. I wanted to take her to a buck from outside but i already picked a buck up, from a colleague breeder. He's been here for 2 weeks and i bred them today without any contact to the colony. So there is noone that i can blame for this, other than what mystang said.. a random plant popping up.

Also, the infected doe has a litter of 8 weeks old, so they are exposed too.
I should be worried for their health but somehow i think it's not that bad.
This doe has been through harder times without any health problems, why now? Is it because she is raising a litter and they are more vulnerable for outbreaks?

Back