What to use to replace fur?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanucksStar#17

Reaction score
I know I have been asking a lot of questions about babies and things lately and I apologize if I am getting annoying, cause I feel really annoying...

Anyway my doe gave birth sometime today, I don't know when because I was gone but came home and she had her babies in the front of the nesting box she had made a nice nest before I left but it was ruined when I came back home, I made a hole in the back and placed them all in it (two of them were dead and a light gray color instead of black like the rest of them and didn't look like they were properly formed) she hasn't pulled any fuzz yet, what do I do to replace the fuzz? I've heard before that cotton balls, or dryer lint works but I don't like the idea of using dryer lint and I don't think I have any cotton balls, so are there any other suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I used dryer lint before, would not do it again as my kits kept getting it up their noses and in their teeth.

Annoying? :shock: Perish the thought!

You can pull fur from the doe. Mine pull from their flanks and sometimes from above the front legs and belly. The fur should release easily, and it may stimulate her to let her milk down.

MaggieJ uses down and feathers from a goose (?) she butchered years ago.

You could also use the batting from a pillow or stuffed toy. But, honestly, synthetic fiber makes me nervous because it can wrap around their limbs and cut them.

Another thing I sometimes add to the nest is paper put through our document shredder. I prefer to use brown paper grocery bags, because the edges are not as sharp as white paper.

If the weather is warm and there are plenty of kits and hay that may be enough to keep them warm. The doe may still pull fur.

Good luck with the kits!

Typically when a doe kindles she'll release a hormone that helps loosen her fur so she can pull it to make an nest. I would flip momma over and pull some fur from her. It should come out fairly easy. I start around the nipples. It helps the kits figure out where to nurse better, and I've heard that it helps stimulate momma to produce milk too, though I don't know if that part is true. Pulling some of her wool for her may show her what to do also, and she might even get the hint and get it done herself after you get her started. It's worth a shot.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 pm __________<br /><br />And by saying it should come out fairly easy I do also meant that it should not hurt the doe either. The hormone should just basically cause an effect similar to them Molting their coat out.

I just wanted to say that I have a buck who throws blue kits as well, but my blue kits never thrive as well as the black ones. When crossed with a Cali mom, even the himi marked ones with the blue points did okay (and had very pretty points), but I have only had one solid blue one survive out of I think 4 I have had born. One was eviscerated by a nervous first time mom so I had to cull it, though, so I'm not sure that counts.

Back