What to do what to do

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearmpr

Reaction score
I was offered a NZ/Flemish doe. Beautiful doe, to add to my breeding stock, I breed for me and I aim for high percent yields, anyone experienced with breeding NZ/Flemish doe with cali/NZ buck? What kind of result did you have?

If she's free you might as well see what she produces. Make sure to compare dressout percentage and bone to meat ratio rather than just size of the offspring at butchering. Flemish don't contribute much to meat rabbits because they have larger bones, reach weight slower despite larger final size, and tend to take more feed to get to the same weight. Crosses can work if they got good characteristics from the other breeds in the mix but you want to watch for those things dragging down the quality of your meat rabbits.

akane":2c8kqeom said:
If she's free you might as well see what she produces. Make sure to compare dressout percentage and bone to meat ratio rather than just size of the offspring at butchering. Flemish don't contribute much to meat rabbits because they have larger bones, reach weight slower despite larger final size, and tend to take more feed to get to the same weight. Crosses can work if they got good characteristics from the other breeds in the mix but you want to watch for those things dragging down the quality of your meat rabbits.

That's exactly what I was thinking too, but I'm kinda hoping it to be a good turnout being it's crossed with NZ and soon a cali. But no it's not free lol

I think what happens is that sometimes those FG/NZ pairings just hybridize well.

A lot of people do not see much good come of cali/NZ hybrids if their lines are already mixed (my area for example), but real FG are less likely to have recent NZ or cali blood so it's probably easier to get the vigor that way in some cases.

An adult rabbit that's already a cross...Hmm...I'd try her. A pure cali would probably work best.

It might be good, it might not, but keep in mind even if the kits grow well and have good dress outs, any does out of her probably will not produce as well themselves, since the hybrid effect would be lost.

If she doesn't pan out, you could always eat her.

Back