What To Do About Weights On Pedigrees?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luvabunny":152ih0m5 said:
Fill 'em in! Especially if they are second or third generation.

I just had several rabbits registered. Registrar told me straight up to fill the missing info in. If the rabbits are registered, ARBA will send you the registry with the correct weights filled in anyway, no matter what you submit.

I look at it this way. If you have a rabbit that is winning, it obviously didn't come from something that isn't true to the breed, whether that is a different breed, or a rabbit that is way too large or too small. It takes more than 2 or 3 generations to breed that out.

IMO, the weights are really an unnecessary part of the pedigree anyway. I get my rabbits registered as soon as I can, usually just after they turn 6 months old. There is no possible way that my adults, and especially my Sr does who have had litters, are anywhere near the weight I registered them at.

I see no problem with filling the weights in.

What this guy said +1.

Would you fill in other information that you didn't have? Such as a date of birth, color, or sex? Because if it's only THAT animal that matters...than surely everything else is arbitrary, correct?

NO! LOL

This is where things get muddled. A small lie, not matter how insignificant, is still a lie. I TOTALLY understand that it's tempting and you feel that you are missing out. There are other avenues, such as contacting the breeders on the pedigrees. They are always happy to help, in my experience.

I think this is why the ARBA magazine last month was full of admonitions to be honest and aboveboard, and to be ethical. There were several mentions. This sort of thing is a slippery slope, in my opinion.

It's not fair that your pedigree wasn't complete. But not fair things happen ALL the time. It's how we handle them that matters, not the circumstances that are given to us.

looking at one of my peds on the back of a reg certificate they don't have dob on any other then that rabbit.
as for sex if you have a ped, the sex is always sire upper line and dam lower line on each rabbit ...sooo....can't mess up there
as for color.... so many are wrong on color I am not sure even if any breeders trust them anymore.

i think they should ditch needing the ped to reg altogether since it really is THAT rabbit that counts. or require peds to show and ditch the registrars if they feel the peds are what counts.

When my daughter's JW doe won BOB at a show, we were very excited and decided to register her. There were missing weights on the pedigree, which in our excitement we forgot to check before rushing over to the registrar's table, so we could not register her at the time.

One of the weights was for the GG Dam on the top side, but since the G Sire was registered, she said that that missing weight did not matter, since it was already recorded with ARBA.

I have personally tracked down other breeders to fill in missing information on a pedigree of mine.

We got a nice little satin at the rabbit show raffle that came with a pedegree. Only problem is it had the names and tattoos down but no birthdates. Did not even have if the satin was a buck or doe. That pedigree does me no good.

This is another reason I am with Global Pedigree (dot) com ... I may get a pedigree from a breeder that is missing weights or dates of birth. When I enter the ped in GPP, and an ancestor has been entered, it auto fills everything. Several times, I have had the autofill ped still be missing one piece of data that happened to come through on the ped I received, so I was also able to enter that data. As for minor fluctuations in senior weights, I don't worry about that as was mentioned, seniors can fluctuate with the seasons LOL

There have also been times when I did have to go back to the breeder to see if they had any missing weights/DOBs ... sometimes they did, sometimes, they didn't ... but generally those instances were far enough back on the pedigree to not matter :p

My real issue is that I have sold several young kits (8 - 16 weeks old) and any weight I put on at sale time is not going to meet minimum weight requirements for showing on quite a few of them. I am assuming that the folks I sold the kits to will enter the ped into their own pedigree program, then print a pedigree with appropriate weight at the time they want to register it.

As I get further into breeding and showing, I will be registering all kits before sale, which will resolve the issue for me and future buyers.

Just my thoughts, YMMV :D

The two foxes I just bought have missing weights for some parent, missing Tat # or missing color. Ugh, it's so annoying, how hard is it to weigh a rabbit and then write it down...
If I was showing/registering rabbits, I wouldn't buy one without the info there, just tell the breeder to find the info and add it before buying it.

ChickiesnBunnies":3fq78zvc said:
The two foxes I just bought have missing weights for some parent, missing Tat # or missing color. Ugh, it's so annoying, how hard is it to weigh a rabbit and then write it down...
If I was showing/registering rabbits, I wouldn't buy one without the info there, just tell the breeder to find the info and add it before buying it.

I feel your pain :(
Although for me it's not always that easy to pass up a quality rabbit that you know will do a lot for your herd, especially when you may be looking for a breed and/or color that is kind of rare.
I'm not one to pass up a show quality rabbit that is just what I was looking for, especially when you don't have many other options.

Demamma":detei41o said:
We got a nice little satin at the rabbit show raffle that came with a pedegree. Only problem is it had the names and tattoos down but no birthdates. Did not even have if the satin was a buck or doe. That pedigree does me no good.

I would call arba about it since there is no dob except that rabbit on a registered pedigree.
was the that satin a buck or a doe? put it on the ped.
sir, dam, g sirs and g dams are always on the same line on any ped so it would be easy to know what sex.

I brought home 2 rabbits that were missing weights on the peds. I contacted the breeders and back tracked until I found the weight. I am looking at weights b/c the breeds I have tend to have trouble making weight. I would be really pissed if I found out the weights were just filled in b/c they were not there to begin with. I would not buy from that breeder again nor would I encourage others to buy from that breeder. Ethics are way to important to play with.

If I forgot to put in a weight & realized later, even if I no longer had the rabbit I could usually go back & put it in if I knew about what it was. I wouldn't put one in for a rabbit I've never seen or weighed before though.

The rabbit from the raffle was a doe but that was not on the pedigree and neither was it's birth date. It looked about4-5 months of age. I was this king of just tossing the pedigree.

Demamma, With a raffle rabbit if you do not know the breeder or get to speak with them tossing the pedigree is a good idea, especially when it's missing so much info.

just a birth date?!
ok put doe on the ped and contact the show secretary and ask for the contact of the breeder if it isn't on the ped. call them and see if you can get the info.
if you can't call ABRA. most livestock registrys aren't as pick of the info as a dog registry is.
why throw out what info you do have? google the rabbitry name and you may find out wonderful things.

I emailed ARBA within the past year specifically asking about weights. They told me that weights weren't always required and that many breeders never included them. Also, many rabbits are sold prior to reaching senior weight so the weight is left blank to be filled in later or for the registrar to fill in at the time of registration. The only weights on any of my pedigrees are ones I put in because they're my rabbits and I weighed them. Seems to me that ARBA should go back to making weights optional. (I'd rather see things like breed and breeder required more than weight or legs or winnings.)

I've had even registrars fill in weights, so I don't consider it a big deal. Now when I raised Checkered Giants, everyone filled in weights anyways...

If they start making weights optional, then they are going to have to stop giving DQs for weights on the table. I don't want a ped where the animals don't make senior weight.

no because you are showing a rabbit that must fit a standard. there is no requirement that you must show all the rabbits in a ped.
all breeding is a gamble, genes are funny things and like to play their own game.
we all know that a tiny woman with a average husband many have a football player size son....

Latest posts

Back