What time of day do you feed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniac

Reaction score
Obviously I am new to rabbits, just received my first 3 does & one buck. I have been feeding them about 6oz at 8am for the last few days. I am in the process of slowly switching them over to Purina Professional, and on the bag it says to feed in the evening because rabbits are more nocturnal?

Welcome!

I feed my rabbits in the morning because it works best with my schedule. They do eat more at night. Evening probably would be best but I'm not sure it makes any difference.

However - rabbits like routine so whatever you decide, stick with it. Feed them around the same time every day and they'll be happy.

(Side note - when you get a chance, please update your location on your profile. Doesn't make any difference with this question but the answer to many questions will depend on where you're located. Being able to see that simplifies things for those trying to help you. Thanks.)

My rabbits seem to be crepuscular, most active at dawn and dusk, but
they will happily eat whenever there is food in front of them.

I usually feed them in the late afternoon, but I try to keep hay for nibbling available all the time..

There was was an incident I was reading about last year...It involved someone having a problem with an animal control officer who was upset that her rabbits still had empty dishes when it was almost noon.
(I guess for morning people, that is really late in the day.)

It was alarming to me, because I'm a late starter myself. Not usually up until afternoon, because I work nights. I have never had to deal with animal control, but if I ever do, I sure hope that having hay available 24-7 is good enough.

Mornings, mine get pellets, water crocks refilled, hay racks topped off. Afternoons, greens from the garden/yard. Evenings, water topped off. And...maybe a treat. Nursing does are free fed, getting topped off as needed.

Most of their eating seems to be done in early evening. I agree with SH and Zass. Develop a schedule and try to keep to it.

I used to do mornings, trying to get it all done before the kiddos were up and at 'em, and before the heat set in for the day. Then summer was over, and life got crazy. Mornings just weren't practical anymore so I slowly transitioned them to afternoons... the 3 o'cloch range is usually when it gets done. Our day to day schedule fits it just about perfectly. Most days the mornings are for school and chores, then lunch and rest time. As soon as rest time is over they have to help with rabbit chores (we just started this, and oh my, am I amazed at the immense help it is! Even the younger ones play a role!) - I get the water, the older two start feeding (they know the smaller scoop is for the adults, and any cages with babies gets a large scoop), the younger two do their best with hay. As I close the hutches up I tuck it where it needs to go (my youngest lays handfuls on the floor for them), and call it good! My best helper is actually my 6 year old, she's a rockstar with the rabbit routine. Once rabbit chores are over, they have the afternoon to play , and sometimes watch a video or two. It's good motivation ;) If we have another crazy hot summer I will probably get things pushed to closer to bedtime to avoid the hottest parts of the day.

I usually feed them pellets morning and evening. It's best for me because when they get too hungry they tend to think my fingers are food. Even my sweetest rabbits have bit me by accident when I'm too late with their food.

I do evenings because if I don't shower the second I'm out of bed it slows me down drastically and I really don't want to shower and dress for work and then immediately coat myself with hay and bunny fur..... not very professional, lol

That said though, there's no rushing in the evenings so I can take my time when feeding to talk to the buns and check them over and generally they are awake enough at that time to appreciate the attention. I find they seem very quiet and sort of yawny first thing in the morning.

When I feel like it and no one has ever suffered. I definitely do not feed anything first thing in the morning. Then they will expect it perfectly on time and often complain a little early. Not so bad for rabbits outside but I have dogs, cats, guinea pigs, cockatiels... I don't want anyone expecting me to get up and feed them at a certain time with my sleep disorder. Beyond that it depends how late I fed them last time, what my current cage setups are as to how fast a cage will go through food and water, and what else I have to get done around them. For example I might make the guinea pigs wait a couple hours if I want to give them a completely clean cage for their new hay and vegetables. They aren't going to suffer if they don't have hay to munch on for 2 hours out of the day. No matter how much they claim they are starving to death. Even more so with the dogs who are designed to go without food for periods of time. The pudgy things aren't going to drop dead if I dump some compost materials or take a shower before putting together their bowls of food.

Based on what I am reading, I think I will move them to eat at 4pm or so. This is when I get home from work. I leave at 6am and don't want them slowing down my morning, I also don't want to feed them at 5:30-6am on weekends.

Plus I will have more time to spend feeding them, looking them over for any issues and of course at 4pm its daylight outside and I can see into the hutch tremendously better than at 6am.

I have noticed less mouse poop in feeders [when I am over-run with mice in the fall] when I feed earlier in the day. It seems mice are mostly nocturnal also. so giving the rabbits time to clean up their feed before night falls would be a good thing, -- but-- I work also-- so animals get fed after work, "when ever that is". I figure as long as there is some hay in the manger, they will be just fine until I get home to feed.

Mine always get fed after work too. I always have as they are more active in the evenings. Besides, I can sit back and have a :beer: with them , observe there actions and check everybunny over once in awhile.

I usually feed in the afternoon or evening.

I don't have a set time (on purpose!) because I learned with horses that it can really stress them out if you are late (or want to go riding at feeding time) and in the case of horses they can bloat because of it.

That said, my rabbits are pretty much free fed in that they always have pellets available... there are only a few cages with smaller feeders on them that occasionally are empty when I go out to feed.

Zass":6rze19yz said:
My rabbits seem to be crepuscular, most active at dawn and dusk

Somehow I knew it would be you who would point this fact out .... :lol:

Because of that , I generally feed in the evening which allows them to eat at both dusk & dawn as they usually wont finish off their rations during that dusk period. It's also convenient for me.

Whew! So glad to see that not everyone is one a strict schedule. I have seen it mentioned a time or two to pick a time and stick with it, that they need a set time. Our schedule doesn't always work out the same each day so it's usually between 3 and 6, but if things are going on I might have to adjust one way or another.

Our rabbits have rather large J-Feeders that so I usually just fill them whenever they are low, or empty, and if I see they are gaining too much weight I give them a little bit of pellets, and more hay.

Would it be a good idea for me to start feeding them all at a certain time?

Horses can be really bad about schedules. They would try to bash the barn down and occasionally would get the doors or end gate open and run wild through the barn if you were late. It was mainly my mom who put them in their stalls at the same time every night. I think animals actually do better without a 100% solid schedule. They remain more flexible and you have less stress and health issues if you can't make the exact same time every day without fail. You just have to keep in mind how long their food or backup food like hay lasts.

heritage":1tagpiy3 said:
Whew! So glad to see that not everyone is one a strict schedule. I have seen it mentioned a time or two to pick a time and stick with it, that they need a set time. Our schedule doesn't always work out the same each day so it's usually between 3 and 6, but if things are going on I might have to adjust one way or another.

Mine is a semi-strict schedule. I feed in the morning, about 6:30, before leaving for work, and again in the evening, about 5, when I get home. Morning feeding is very short. I make sure there is some feed in every feeder, and check their water. Afternoon feeding is usually a bit more time consuming. I repeat the morning routine, then give a few greens from the yard or garden, and some hay. A couple of times a week I give them a piece of apple. However, that schedule revolves around my work schedule. On weekends, they get fed whenever I happen to wake up. That could mean as late as 10 or 11 AM. Plus, I generally give them a larger portion of foraged weeds and garden greens in the afternoon. I usually bring one or two into the house on weekends to groom, and allow them to roam on the floor a bit. They have gotten kinda used to lying on the couch with me while I watch TV. And the handling has improved their attitude towards me immensely.

For us it depends somewhat on the time of year. Now when it doesn't get light until 7:30 or later if the clouds are thick, they get their morning feed while it is still dark. In summer, when it is light before we get to them even though we're up earlier then, they are definitely on the lookout for their food. We keep enough hay in their feeders so they always have that. But in the summer when much of the rest is fresh forage we feed the growouts and nursing does morning, early afternoon and evening as long as they've finished up the last batch. On hot days they don't eat so much in the middle of the day and it is more important to get their feeders filled early while it is cool enough so they have appetite. In winter they all have hay and get wheat fodder morning and evening. Also feed roots and grain unless they are starting to put on weight. We check their backbones at least once a week to see who needs more and who needs to be cut back. And of course that fluctuates with the temperature. They need more calories when it gets down around zero. So far this winter has been pretty mild but high is supposed to be in single digits F tomorrow.
So as with most things, it depends.

My feeders hold a couple of days or more of feed so I usually top them up during last chores in the evening mostly for my convenience. It might depend on how you house your rabbits, though, mine are outside in the colony (really a giant cage when it comes down to it) so they have a lot of room to run around and burn it off so they are always free fed. If you're feeding in a cage where they don't have the area to run around a lot and you want to regulate their feed then you'll have to do it at a specific time of day.

When I was trucking I was out on the road and in and out at all times of the day. I fed the rabbits whenever I happened to be home and they were always fine.

I try to check on my rabbits twice a day, especially if I have mothers with litters.

Their primary feeding time is in the evenings, however. And it gives me a chance to check on everybody one last time before bed.

They really are pretty flexible, however. Sometimes I will feed them earlier in the evening or afternoon if I know I won't be home until really late.

Back