What the Hail ...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeannie

Reaction score
Soooo summery here, got the pool done, waiting for grandkids...

and then this? What the Hail... all dropped in less than 2 minutes...

Attachments

• hail 1.jpg
    hail 1.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 1,030
  • hail 2.jpg
    hail 2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,030
  • hail 3.jpg
    hail 3.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 1,030
Spring and summer hail is not abnormal here. Every few years all the car lots have to sell dinged cars cheap while insurance helps bail them out. So yes it does hurt sometimes. It can dent metal and break windshields but usually only if you try to drive in the stuff. I found it amusing when someone posted a vid of hail in a place that never gets hail and she's laughing it's playing ping pong off her car. You do know what happens when nearly hard as rock pea-marble sized objects hit your car at terminal velocity?

funnies50":39tyulyl said:
Dang. :x I wonder if that hurts. :shock:
Did it stop after two minutes or kept going?

I went out 10 minutes later and the sun was shining and all was melted .... ahhh, New Mexico weather...
and yes, if you get hit it's like playing "hit'em with the bb gun" game (something we did in our youth,lol)

My friend's brother lost a testicle to that game growing up. :lol:

Our visit came the 9th...for about 20 minutes.

This will leave a mark.
IMG_4813-small.jpg

Guess I don't have to tell ya I'm replanting the garden...use to be green beans.
IMG_4824-small.jpg

My insurance man hates us. Third time in 15 years at this house alone. Usually costs them ~$40k.

Homer":49zvsb7g said:
Our visit came the 9th...for about 20 minutes.

This will leave a mark.
View attachment 1

Guess I don't have to tell ya I'm replanting the garden...use to be green beans.

My insurance man hates us. Third time in 15 years at this house alone. Usually costs them ~$40k.

Ahhhhhh what in the name of - ?
That is really big hail ... :shock: :shock:

akane":mienfpbe said:
Spring and summer hail is not abnormal here. Every few years all the car lots have to sell dinged cars cheap while insurance helps bail them out. So yes it does hurt sometimes. It can dent metal and break windshields but usually only if you try to drive in the stuff. I found it amusing when someone posted a vid of hail in a place that never gets hail and she's laughing it's playing ping pong off her car. You do know what happens when nearly hard as rock pea-marble sized objects hit your car at terminal velocity?

Last November, cousins from Arizona came up, and one posted on FB @ the hail that fell for a while. She was quite surprise d to find out it was snow! The cousins had a bit of a time trying to figure out what to wear - thankfully, no sleet that weekend!

I had a bf move to Iowa from Georgia and he had a horrible time with the weather. :lol: He fell multiple times the first winter. We went out my mom's front door and I managed "look out for the.." and he went splat on his back with his hand in his pocket so he sprained his wrist. We also ran outside real quick after a couple feet of snow fell to get something from the car and I neatly ran across the edge of the yard on the balls of my feet to reduce snow in my tennis shoes. He walked heavy in to it with no socks on and then hopped out yelling about it being cold. Yes.. snow is cold. :laugh2: I don't think we had any serious hail storms those couple years though. I think the year prior to him moving here is when the golfball size hail storm went through and my sister got her really cheap mustang. If you stood at the right angle in sunlight you could see all the dents.

Yeah, I know... I've seen hail, but I haven't seen hail like that!

There was hail just a few miles away from here last night, over 1" in diameter. That would still hurt a lot!

funnies50":6j2tgobe said:
Geez. I don't know where half you people live but...well... :shock:

It can hail when warm so it's not just the cold states. Sometimes it will be a 90F day, suddenly drop 5-10F, and unload a bunch of hail in the middle of summer. Conditions just have to be right high up where it's always cold to layer on the ice crystals and then enough of a change to drop it somewhere.

We have been having unusual weather here also,
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/uta ... ls-n427396
we did not loose anything, or have any damage, - but it was very close, - quite a few people had a lot of damage, ...

I have seen some hail about 2.5 inches in diameter, near Ocala Florida, fortunately it missed me and my old truck, but a horse barn was not so lucky, -[ that is very hard on metal roofing]

Back