What Is this Swelling?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
Rufus is 6 weeks old. I was looking him over when I saw this swelling. It is the same in both ears. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 909
Do any other rabbits have it of the same breed and size? I'm thinking it's just his ear cartilage you never noticed before.

ChickiesnBunnies":1z1e3sjo said:
Do any other rabbits have it of the same breed and size? I'm thinking it's just his ear cartilage you never noticed before.

Nope. When I found this I checked everybody. He is the only one showing it. It almost looks like a pocket of blood under the skin. Almost like a blood blister. I am pretty sure it has his ear canal 80 to 90 percent blocked. I feel sorry for him but I haven't found any leads as to what it could be so I don't know how to treat it. I am wary of giving antibiotics without some sort of diqgnosis.

He is built like a brick outhouse but I guess he will be attending freezer camp. Kinda bummed because he by far fits the body type I am looking for better than any other of the young bucks I have that are his age. As a matter of fact he is better to my eyes than the 9 week old buck that I am keeping. Blah.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":a2c2ycow said:
IS he by himself or with others in the same cage. ?

He has been in his own cage for 2 weeks. He is showing no other signs of illness. Eats and drinks like a horse. He Isnt carrying his head funny or scratching. I am stumped.

I really wouldnt worry to much about it. Just make sure there is nothing living in it . LIke a fly eggs or small insec bury themselves in his ear. Look for a tiny hole. .. He could of also scratching his ears. Or maybe a bee sting. I dont think there is anything wrong with him.

Sometimes animals can get Aural Hematomas , which makes their ears look like little pillows and they are filled with blood.Its is caused by trauma to the ear.Those are treated with a minor procedure to empty the blood and then are quilted to keep it from refilling till it heals.....maybe ask your local bunny vet?

I guess we may all be looking at something else....At first, I thought you meant the ridge. Do you mean that fold I see going across the ear??
From the pic, nothing looks to be blocking anything at all.

Back