what is the best spinning wheel to buy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All depends what you want to do and how much room you have. There's dozens of brands out there but they all fit in a few categories, I have 2 traditional styles and 2 uprights and while they all have their own personalities they all do the same job. See if you can find somewhere to give some a test spin or keep an eye out for ads, you can get some good bargains but at the same time you can get some not so good ones

I bought an Ashford traditional wheel because I got a really good deal on craigslist. It's pretty easy to figure out how to use it, it treadles smoothly, and it seems pretty well made. Now I need to learn how to draft fiber properly (and quickly!)...

I agree with toady. See if you can't find a wheel that you can try out first. I use a Kromski Prelude, but to be completely honest, I hate it. It's not comfortable to use. It's a single pedal, saxony style wheel where the 'axle' for the wheel rind in a metal sleeve. I did get a screaming deal on it from a friendly, but I would not repeat that decision if I had the chance.

I am trying to save up for a Majacraft model, I like the little gem or the rose. All I can tell you for sure is that I prefer to use a double treadle ball bearing model. They run a lot smoother and quicker, and in general are a joy to use. I'm partial to the castle wheels too, as they are more upright a d tend to take up less space in my tiny little house. I do have a friend that uses an Ashford Kiwi, and that is a nice little wheel for the money too.

Hope that helps

There are several spinning wheel reviews (and groups!) at Ravelry dot com, a free membership place for lovers of fiber who knit, crochet, spin, dye, and/or weave. There are also Ravelry groups dedicated to specific fiber animals, like...rabbits. :)

Some single-treadle wheels, like my Clemes & Clemes Modern, have a treadle wide enough for both feet to work at the same time, which allows a symmetrical body position. Some single-treadles, like the Saxony-style wheel described above, require an asymmetrical body position, which can hurt after a short period of spinning. Double-treadle wheels also permit a symmetrical body position.

If you'd rather not look through Ravelry, one commercial site with photos of many makers' wheels is The Woolery (woolery dot com).

Of course, for most of humanity's history, all fiber was spun on spindles. The wheel was a relatively late invention, travelling to the West probably from China by way of India and launching a ten-fold increase in Western spinning capacity in approx. the 13th/14th centuries. A general discussion can be found at joyofhandspinning dot com and in the Fall 2011 issue of Spin-Off (also in this blog entry by the editor of Spin-Off: http://www.spinningdaily.com/blogs/amy/ ... ddite.aspx).

There is no "best" wheel for everyone; there is probably a "best" wheel for you. If possible, find a guild of spinners or weavers in your area and ask to be shown how the wheels work before committing to a purchase. (Used wheels are available on Ravelry, too; it's not always necessary to purchase a brand-new $$$ one.)

I am assuming you are looking to spin angora wool on a wheel? I can't tell you much on wheels (I want to get one but don't have one yet) but I use a drop spindle to spin my angora on and it does a fantastic job.

the local angora people have a dowel through a CD with an eye or hook, it's hung and spun, seemed to work well

I was unable to get a test run through a spinning guild, so I bought sight unseen on Etsy. I have a Louet. I bought it so I could paint it, It's easy to put together, easy to adjust the ratios and easy to adjust the tension. Not the easiest for fine spinning, but I don't spin lace at all, so that's not a problem. If I ever get another, I might get a double treble.

You can try Andean plying, or wind it off onto two bobbins, or make the singles into center pull balls to ply again in a counterclockwise motion on the spindle.

I have a kick spinner, so I wind mine onto the kick spinner bobbins and ply from there. Or depending on the length, I've wound it around my chair, floor and bed post till I have both ends, and plyed it that way, which is a "hood" form of Andean plying when I only have one yarn source.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2ush91b9 said:
thanks everyone for your input.. How can I do a 2 ply with a drop spindle.

Navaho plying (three ply from one ball/bobbin, my personal favorite)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVXCHzDRKM&list=PL2BE03214DD2C749E&index=8[/youtube]

Andean plying (two ply from one ball/bobbin, never tried it myself)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHh5ZhjFkbc&list=PL2BE03214DD2C749E&index=24[/youtube]

how to ply (this is on spinning wheel, same thing for drop spindle only you are twirling the spindle and stopping to wind on)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O05fXbXif9k&list=PL2BE03214DD2C749E&index=52[/youtube]

and if you are interested here is a link to my whole fiber related playlist
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz

Latest posts

Back