What is the best hay to feed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barton's Big Bunnies

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best hay to feed is? I have English Lops, a pair of Flemish Giants, & a few New Zealands.
Right now I free feed Pen Pals 18% pellets & offer Timothy hay twice a day.
I was wondering if I should stick with Timothy hay or switch to Bermuda hay or Prairie hay?
:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Grass hays are all so similar that different cuts of the same type of hay can have greater differences than 2 separate types of grass. It really doesn't matter too much what grass hay you feed. Some do stay fresh and green a little better but sometimes herbivores will actually go for a browner hay. Bermuda is popular in the south but often browns more than other hays when drying to bale. Just feed whatever kind your rabbits like that doesn't have a lot of weeds and is stored well.

I feed mine horse quality coastal, which is a type of bermudagrass. That's the primary hay and it compares well with timothy.

I also feed alfalfa, but not as often.

The coastal is cheap, about $10.00 per square bale (about 60 pounds) and the alfalfa isn't much more at about $20.00 per square bale (about 100 pounds). Around here, timothy is only a little bit cheaper than gold.

Whichever one you get, make sure it's horse quality and not cow or goat quality.

Latest posts

Back