What Does Your Rabbit Eat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what you heard about alfalfa relates to the calcium content and not to protein or getting too fat. Rabbit cannot store excess calcium and thus eliminate it in their urine. Too much calcium from a combination alfalfa pellets AND alfalfa hay "may" contribute to sludge/stones in the urinary tract.So the rule of thumb is alfalfa pellets/ timothy hay or vice versa. I think it is easier to find grass hay all the time then it is to find alfalfa hay so most use alfalfa pellets and the grass hay. It just depends on your situation.

ok, well I brought back his other unopened bag of Timothy Hay Pellets and got him the best Alfalfa based pellet I could find (17%- yay)- problem is... he wont eat them! He just stares at me like "Momma, whats this?" and then hops away. I even combined the leftover Timothy Pellets to the new Alfalfa pellets (so it would be an easy transition) and he isnt going for it. Dang! What do I do? He is normally such a lil' piggy with his food... should I just wait it out hoping he gets hungry enough and gives the new pellets a try? Some advice please. :)

ok finally able to answer this.
each pen get 1/4 flake of hay a day either oat/grass or alfalfa/grass depending on what i have in the stack at the time. and one batman cup of pellets aproximately 8-10 oz. All this is given once a day. as for water i go through about 2 gallons a day for 9 rabbits. They are drinming less now that it is cooler i WAS going through that for just 5 this summer.<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:22 pm __________<br /><br />i forgot each pen has 1-2 sticks in it on a constany basis. usually what ever i have in the kindling pile. cotton wood is the main thing.

Latest posts

Back