what does this look like.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really not familiar with most of the larger breeds, but we do have one Flemish and her ears remind me of his!

She looks like a production type NZW...not from show lines but from commercial meat producing lines.

Looks fairly NZW with a good bit of Flemish cross. Probably like OneAcreFarms says, production line rabbit.

The ad says she will be bred to a Cali buck. I would bet there is plenty of crossing going on at this breeder.

She seems to be a proven doe and could probably throw decent meat mutts. No tellin how old she is though.

I'd ask a lot of questions, but the price is ok for a good meat dam.

I don't know the breeder, but I see his ads often and I know he has blue American buck. I think it was mostly the shape of the head and ears that made me stop and take a 2nd look. REW Americans are sometime confused with NZW's look at that big colony they found in Canada. they kept losing on the show table until an American breeder visiting told them he thought they were Americans, what do you know they start placing in shows when entered as Americans! lol I should find that story it is a good read! Oh and I wasn't looking to buy, price checking. this is how I make sure my prices are competitive. even though I only sell Cali's some people that are on the fence about NZW vs Cali will go with whatever is priced cheaper at the time. so not only do I check Cali prices but NZW as well.

__________ Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 am __________

Sept 22, 2006 NEW AMERICAN HERD FOUND IN CANADA!

It appears there has been a colony of these rabbits being raised in
Canada at a Hutterite community, which is a Christian denomination
church. Helga and Gayle bought the rabbits from the Hutterites some
ten years ago and were told they were New Zealand Whites.

The story is the Hutterites bought these rabbits from the USA in the
1920s and have been raising them for meat since then.

This info dovetails with the history of domestic rabbits. Bob Whitman
says these could very well be a isolated herd of Americans since in
the 1920s there were many more American Whites than New Zealand Whites
for sale.

Helga has taken them to rabbit shows as New Zealand Whites and did not
do very well. I think if they are put on the show table as American
Whites, they will do much better.

Look at the depth of the body on that buck and the fullness of the loin
and hindquarter. The mandolin body type on this rabbit is very good,
judging from the photo.

Helga and Gayle are very excited to think they have a true heritage
breed rabbit in their hutches.

They currently have a herd of 38 Whites, with Blues often popping up
in the litters. What an exciting discovery!

http://www.rabbitgeek.com/abwrc.html (this is the actual page if you want to read more about it!)

She is not much of anything... She is very narrow and hollow in the loin as well, She could use more weight or has lost it because she doesn't look like she has a huge amount of vitality either. She def. does not have an American shape. Helga's rabbits look way different than that!!

faiththequeen":2nhzgr54 said:

Beverans are blue eyed whites and her coat and shape look wrong.

Maybe just a new zealand where the choice of buck and doe were more for convenience rather than picking who is best suited to whom?

I've seen some craigslisting that have really nice looking rabbits and others where you just kind of go hmmmmm.

It could also be a really horrid picture or a rabbit not feeling totally well.

Latest posts

Back