What do you think is doing this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
20121210-141801.jpg

Neither of this kit's parents carry the Vienna gene as far as I know. This is the first litter sired by a new buck of mine so I can't compare with other litters I've had. It may be hard to tell, but this kit has white hairs on and above his nose. Eyes aren't open yet so I can't gain any insight there just yet.

What could leave a mark like this? Is it just something cropping up or maybe a poorly marked rabbit (it's a self black so that might not be the right lingo considering its supposed to be a solid color)?

Parents are: aaBbCcDdE_ and AaB_Ccddee

Vienna can hide for generations. There are vienna marked, and vienna carrier rabbits. Sometimes the gene only expresses itself in a wrong coloured toenail. I would say either doe or buck is hiding vienna, or that's not a self black and will turn out to something else.

I occasionally get a tiny white spot on the nose or neck of my NZ crosses.
We don't know about all the genes that affect coat colour, and it is a show disqualification so most breeders would cull them. It probably lives on in REW since it masks all other coat colours.

Dood":3g2oukp3 said:
I occasionally get a tiny white spot on the nose or neck of my NZ crosses.
We don't know about all the genes that affect coat colour, and it is a show disqualification so most breeders would cull them. It probably lives on in REW since it masks all other coat colours.

I've been told that too, that REW or sometimes brokens can leave white spots on colored animals. Blacks with broken in the ped can have scattered white hairs or mismatched toe nails. My broken buck has a lot of scattered white hairs anyway, so I watch his offspring closely.

There aren't any brokens in either parent's pedigrees, but there are a few REWs in each. This little guy is confusing. This is a French angora kit so I will sell him as a wooler or pet. I guess I'll just have to keep a good eye on what this new buck is throwing from now on.

SarahMelisse":1wcdqtxv said:
There aren't any brokens in either parent's pedigrees, but there are a few REWs in each. This little guy is confusing. This is a French angora kit so I will sell him as a wooler or pet. I guess I'll just have to keep a good eye on what this new buck is throwing from now on.

What's under that REW? That's is why I don't like them.

skysthelimit":30cvhmur said:
SarahMelisse":30cvhmur said:

Yeah... Not knowing for sure irritates me.

That white mark may disappear. It shows up on our Champagnes and Bruns. It is not a vienna mark on ours and it goes away as the kit matures. Wild rabbits are always born with white spots on their noses/foreheads as well. REW does not cause that and as you have bred two rabbits that you almost have the complete code for I would wait to see what happens.

SarahMelisse":zrqx7pmh said:
skysthelimit":zrqx7pmh said:
SarahMelisse":zrqx7pmh said:

Yeah... Not knowing for sure irritates me.

My First buck is a REW Great type so i couldnt pass it up. I got it down to, I think hes Black or Blue otter... Drives me crazy not knowing for sure though

Well the little guy is 2 weeks old now and it is a very obvious white spot on the nose. I'm not planning on keeping him so I will just sell him as a "possibly Vienna marked" rabbit and let the potential buyer know that is a show disqualification. He is a French angora so I'm sure someone will think its a cute mark and buy him as a wooler.

Latest posts

Back