What do you think about this Doe??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't be positive from the picture,
but in this particular photo she appears Narrow in type and quite hippy.
She also has a poor Rise but she is not properly posed.
Could you post some better photos?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Well, she's a Himalayan. No idea how good a meat rabbit that makes her...She isn't a Cali.
I'd be wondering why they are selling her, maybe she stopped producing as well as she did before..?
So correct pose would be a hotdog-
Himalayan2.jpg

I think I am going to pass. She is $20 & quite a drive away. I am really looking for just a good doe for breeding meat rabbits. Nothing that has to be pure bred.

I'd pass Himalayan, it would not be a best choice. I have a friend in Melbourne who raises Giant Chinchilla's, New Zealand & Californian's. He has a few for sale at this time.

she looks fine for a himalayan. otter,shes not posed at all, the pic chickies posted is the way you pose a himalayan. Anyway the only reason to buy a himalayan is to breed with another himalayan. And they are ok for meat rabbits ,small meat rabbits.

Breed your newzealand with another new zealand. Or a californian

LadyKarli":ijmtfsbm said:
I think I am going to pass. She is $20 & quite a drive away. I am really looking for just a good doe for breeding meat rabbits. Nothing that has to be pure bred.

A word to the wise: If a doe is any good....most people won't sell her. You may well be buying someone else's problem. Buy a good, young, maiden female that can mature in your rabbitry and produce for you.

I discourage all potential customers against buying older does. I'll tell 'em straight-up, "I ain't gonna sell you a doe that I'd want to keep. And, if I don't want her, then neither do you!"

Grumpy

Yeah I am going to pass. Will just wait a few months & breed a few of my does I already have. Should be old enough by the end of winter.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:46 am __________<br /><br />Yeah I am going to pass. Will just wait a few months & breed a few of my does I already have. Should be old enough by the end of winter.

A word to the wise: If a doe is any good,
most people won't sell her. You may well be buying someone else's problem.
Buy a good, young maiden female that can mature in your rabbitry and produce for you.

Not always true Grumpy! Often you can purchase
for a very reasonable price an older more experienced Doe
simply because the breeder has a better younger Doe to take her spot
in the herd. Though the older doe is still a very good producer,
the space limits call for the sale of the Senior Doe simply do to cage requierments.
Never turn down a rabbit simply because of it's age, the experienced doe will
produce some fine litters when purchased from the right breeder.

ottersatin":1sx5xx3z said:
A word to the wise: If a doe is any good,
most people won't sell her. You may well be buying someone else's problem.
Buy a good, young maiden female that can mature in your rabbitry and produce for you.

Not always true Grumpy! Often you can purchase
for a very reasonable price an older more experienced Doe
simply because the breeder has a better younger Doe to take her spot
in the herd. Though the older doe is still a very good producer,
the space limits call for the sale of the Senior Doe simply do to cage requierments.
Never turn down a rabbit simply because of it's age, the experienced doe will
produce some fine litters when purchased from the right breeder.

Thats good advice. I bought an older doe from a breeder who just no longer wanted to work with the color. She is beautiful and has already had a couple of litters so I am super happy with her.

Well i think both grumpy and otter are correct. A commercial raiser isnt gonna sell one of his good does ,that where hes making his money. But if you get someone that is a show person or more of a hobby breeder,they may sell a good doe just to make room for another breed or a younger doe that they think has promise. y

I myself want to add some american chinchillas , I purchased a young doe the the other day from someone. They had and old doe that they would have sold, I would have purchased her if she would have bred, she did though, it would have been worth it to me to just get one litter out of her.

That's one of the things that sets show rabbits apart from commercial rabbits. After they finish or reach a certain age, their show careers are over. My breeder doesn't show her rexes after they reach 10 mos old. That's a four month show career. Then the doe has 3-6 litters within a few years, a buck more, and so you have a 2 year old rabbit that you no longer need more of the bloodline, but could still do someone some good. The oldest I've purchased was three, and she has so far had a litter of nine and a litter of ten. If I don't get any show rabbits out of her, I'm getting my money back in meat.

Back