What do you know about rabbit meat and gastroparesis?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis, paralysis of the stomach and intestines so that food takes a LONG time to pass through the system.

She is at the Mayo Clinic for testing and treatment options (which are pretty nonexistent) and has an appointment with the dietitian tomorrow. She has been told she can eat eggs, so I have already offered my nutritionally superior free range farm fresh eggs. She was also told she could try chicken and fish if it doesn't make her sick. I mentioned for them to ask about rabbit, but she is a "pet" rabbit person, so she might not be open to trying it for meat...but if her life is depending on getting enough nutrition then she might decide it's worth a shot.

I do know there are people who are raising meat rabbits for health issues. Does anyone happen to know if rabbit would be an easily digestible option for someone with this condition?

I am not familiar with that clinical diagnosis, but a good friend of mine has been a vegetarian (sometimes eating fish) for eight years because when she eats meat (and some other foods) they just "sit there".

However, I recently gave her some rabbit meat in exchange for her help butchering, and she was able to eat it! :p She was so happy- she said she felt so much better after getting some animal protein into her system. :)

You might make some rabbit soup with the meat finely cubed and see if she can digest it. At the very least, maybe she could drink the broth. You might even thicken the broth with some rabbit meat run through a blender.

I hope she can find a solution that works for her. :clover:

Most all the meats that are low in fat are a lot easier to digest, it also depends on how you cook it, frying is the worst for digestion. Recently I have started to soak my rabbits in ice water with a little salt, after about 2 days in the fridge the meat is a lot softer and I'm sure even easier to digest. :popcorn:

As for blending the rabbit, if the blender makes for a poor texture, you can just cook it in the crock on medium all day. The rabbit meat will separate into tiny strings.

Miss M":fbax3sxe said:
I did a quick search, and found this document: http://uvahealth.com/services/digestive ... s-diet.pdf

On page 12 is a chart of meats (ground or pureed) suggested for patients with gastroparesis. Rabbit is on there. :)

We have at least one Crohn's patient on here who can eat rabbit, so I would think there's hope! :clover:

Thanks. She has had IBS for a long time and had already had to modify her diet somewhat. This is helpful. I don't even know if her dietitian will be familiar with rabbit meat or if they will ask, but I might cook her up a little helping just to try.<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 am __________<br /><br />
Happy":fbax3sxe said:
As for blending the rabbit, if the blender makes for a poor texture, you can just cook it in the crock on medium all day. The rabbit meat will separate into tiny strings.

That sounds like a good option. I wonder what I could make with some shredded rabbit that would taste good and not make her sick. I will do some research, I guess.

coffeenutdesigns":1uh5r431 said:
That sounds like a good option. I wonder what I could make with some shredded rabbit that would taste good and not make her sick. I will do some research, I guess.

Rabbit pie is good.

I have a friend with gastroparesis (among many other problems). This is a condition common with diabetics but also for people with autoimmune deficiencies. Basically, the muscles do not "spasm" to move the food along and it sits and ferments/rots. So, fiber is an issue as well as difficult to digest meats.

I don't know specifically if rabbit is considered an easy protein meat to digest. But, either way, I would encourage her to make bone broths -- long, slow cooked broths from bones (vegetables can be included as well) -- which are loaded in minerals and proteins in a form that is now very easy to digest. If done with bones with some meat on them, the meat should now also be very easy to digest (if a little tasteless having given it's taste to the broth). Bone broths are considered very healing. Making a variety of broths from different bones is also suggested.

Oh, and when making the broths, put a bit of vinegar in the water to help pull more minerals from the bones.

There are youtube videos on making nourishing bone broths.

That is good information. They have told her a high fiber diet of pureed foods or baby foods and clear liquids, so the broth would be a good option. I didn't know that about the vinegar.

Latest posts

Back