What Color? Mini Rex Babies ~ New pictures added

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyz84

Reaction score
So I'm new to breeding mini rex bunnies and I'm trying to figure out the correct colors to call the babies we have.

Mom I believe is called a Broken Red?
DSCN6875.jpg

Dad a Solid Blue?
DSCN7593.jpg

2 babies are Broken Blacks and the other 3 I'm not sure of. One seems to have more of a red/brown tent to it with two very small light orange/brown spots on the head.

Group:
DSCN7960.jpg

3 I'm not sure about:
DSCN7941.jpg

DSCN7922.jpg

Baby in back has the red/brown tint to it:
DSCN7937.jpg

Close up of the one with the red/brown tint:
DSCN7946.jpg

I think your buck may be the same color as one of mine. If you blow in his fur is it blue all the way down or is there a ring color? Take a look at this post and see if he is the same:
what-color-is-this-buck-t6164.html

In the second pic of the babies I believe the middle one is a broken castor, and the outside ones are opal. Your broken blacks are actually broken black otters.

Neat litter! Congratulations!

He doesn't have a ring of color. He is solid blue when you pull his hair up and look at the undercoat.
(Although in some pictures he has a red hue to him :?: ). He is a just a little darker then the photo shows. I can't seem to get a good photo to show exactly how dark he is.)

Does the tan color on the ears of the Broken Blacks mean they are Black otters?

Skyz84":lh28o1ut said:
He doesn't have a ring of color. He is solid blue when you pull his hair up and look at the undercoat.
(Although in some pictures he has a red hue to him :?:

He is probably a blue, then. When I see that pinkish tint, it makes me think lilac, but I haven't ever seen one myself.

Skyz84":lh28o1ut said:
Does the tan color on the ears of the Broken Blacks mean they are Black otters?

Yes.

your broken otters should have a tanish triangle back of neck, tan inside the nose holes and if they were solid, the belly would be creamy colored.
those three brokens with lots of white do not have enough color to be showable. they need more than 10%.

There are some colors you just should not breed together. It messes up colors, for example a blue with a red cast. what color are the grandparents?

Of course this doesnt matter if you are pet breeding, but since you are new to mini rex, thought the info would be helpful

The reddish-tinted one might be broken castor, the others might be broken opal. That's a long shot though, I'm just throwing out my best guess.

Daddy definitely looks blue to me.

The one with the reddish tint is probably a tort, most likely a tort otter. It seems that mom hides a self gene with an attached otter modifier. Mom is a broken red which means she is non-extension agouti, so she carries one agouti (A) and one self gene (a) and ee. Dad must carry one small e to make a tort. A tort is a non extension SELF as opposed to mom who is agouti. The other brokens are probably castor or opal (dilute)

lonelyfarmgirl":3g04wavc said:
your broken otters should have a tanish triangle back of neck, tan inside the nose holes and if they were solid, the belly would be creamy colored.
those three brokens with lots of white do not have enough color to be showable. they need more than 10%.

There are some colors you just should not breed together. It messes up colors, for example a blue with a red cast. what color are the grandparents?

Of course this doesnt matter if you are pet breeding, but since you are new to mini rex, thought the info would be helpful

All 5 babies have tan inside the ears, a tiny bit of tan behind there ears(at the base), tan inside the nose holes and a tiny speck of tan on the corners of the eyes.

These bunnies are only breeding for pets. I do not have any information on there parents/grandparents. My blue does not show a red cast at all except occasionally in a photo. Even in bright sunlight you don't see it? Not sure if it's my camera? or him? He is a solid even color all over. I'm guessing by breeding him to a red doe all the babies will end up with a red cast to them?

Well here are a few new photos from tonight. I'm still not sure what to call these two colors. Sorry for the picture overload! Not sure if these will help any more.... Is it safe to say they are broken opal and broken castor?

Here are the two kits in question.
DSCN8231.jpg

Here is the one on the right up close: Could it be a broken Lynx? or Broken Castor? :?:
DSCN8187.jpg

Here they are reversed from the above picture. The redder one is on the left:
DSCN8237.jpg

And this is just for cuteness =)
DSCN8252.jpg

Awesome =) Thank you!

One last question... Are the Broken Opals and Broken Castor supposed to have light brown inside of there ears? Or are they Otters too? Is it even possible for them to be otters?

Still trying to wrap my head around the genetics!

Castors and opals (and lynx and chocolate agouti) are essentially agouti-fied otters (I think). I'm not very genetics savvy, but I have the basics down, and I think that's how it works.

Cattle Cait":27fh7hnw said:
Castors and opals (and lynx and chocolate agouti) are essentially agouti-fied otters (I think). I'm not very genetics savvy, but I have the basics down, and I think that's how it works.

Agouti is the dominant pattern (A_), it is dominant over otter(at), castor and opal are agouti genes, otters are tan genes. Since agouti is dominant, if anything, the otter would be a agouti without rings (banding), though I would not really describe it that way.

Latest posts

Back