What caused your interests in rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibbles

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
And what is your main interest in having rabbits?

I was sitting here thinking some of you may have loved rabbits as pets since a child, and other may have the practical food and fur uses for the rabbits.

What is your first interest in rabbits, and what is it now?

I was sitting here thinking some of you may have loved rabbits as pets since a child, and other may have the practical food and fur uses for the rabbits.

Meat. We ate the freeloaders on the property. So I decided I would try out raising them as a birthday present to myself. Should have my first batch ready to dispatch in 3 weeks or so.
Now after having a whopping 4 months under my belt, I want to go to some ARBA shows so I can see first hand what the goal is in the confirmation of the meat rabbit.

I have always had animals, always loved cute furry things. But i got into rabbits specifically for a renewable meat resource. Because i hate raising broiler chickens! Nastiest animal on the planet!

Rabbits are perfect, three months of cuddles and dopamine and about the time they start being a pita, its coitains 😁

I have always had animals, always loved cute furry things. But i got into rabbits specifically for a renewable meat resource. Because i hate raising broiler chickens! Nastiest animal on the planet!

Rabbits are perfect, three months of cuddles and dopamine and about the time they start being a pita, its coitains 😁
I just processed 18 Cornish cross. 2 months to the day from when they were hatched. Easiest freezer filler I ever did. However, the cost was calculated and it was 14$ per bird. Most of them weighed over 6lbs. Super tender meat.

I just processed 18 Cornish cross. 2 months to the day from when they were hatched. Easiest freezer filler I ever did. However, the cost was calculated and it was 14$ per bird. Most of them weighed over 6lbs. Super tender meat.
I love to eat them. And I've raised and processed a couple hundred. But they are the filthiest, smelliest stock going imo. Im also a bit bothered by how...kind of grotesque they are. The fast growout, the sore legs...that's just me. But im the person that sacrifices an extra month on my junior rabbits so they can grow up and play on grass...im not the most economical homesteader 😁

Quiet meatsource and also produces good vegetable garden fertilizer. Chickens are more for eggs due to room needed for growing out chicks and the feed cost being omnivores. Original plan was to provide some of that diet via slaughterwaste from the rabbits, but no more rented land for other/bigger livestock so only rabbits left (i hope just for now).

Originally, I wanted a small scale self renewing meat source I could grow in city limits--no roosters. I have a agriculture background, and I don't like how meat is produced in this country for a variety of ethical reasons, but had discovered that my metabolism did not tolerate a vegan diet very well. This was my way of taking responsibility for my family's meat consumption.

I still do that, but I have moved to the most nutrient poor soil I have ever had the misfortune to garden, so I also raise them to provide fertilizer to build the soil. Since my family size has shrunk and I was drowning in meat I added some angoras, so there is a no-kill manure source now that I am so far quite enjoying!

(also I discovered muscovy ducks--a tip for fellow suburbanite meat farmers)

The bunnies here appeared as an answer to the high cost of angora yarn. They provide amazing fiber for exquisite yarn and are some of the most cuddly 'livestock' on the planet. The bunny berries for the garden have saved us tons over the years by not having to buy imported fertilizers.

Bunnies and gardens are a great natural cycle, kinda like little speed composters.

When I got rabbits yearscago it was because my girls wanted them for 4H, that led to ARBA shows and I figurd I might as well provide a meat source so I got NZ. Fast forward a lot of years after divorce health issues... life.. to the present. I am getting back into rabbits for the meat source, fertilizer for my garden and pelts.

I married a fella that grew up on a farm. They raised several species of animals in addition to milking cows, raising pigs,chickens for meat and eggs and rabbits.
We have been supplying venison to upscale restaurants in Milwaukee and was approached with the prospect of raising meat rabbits to sell to them. And that’s history for 4 years now.
I name all of my breeding stock and look forward to every morning and evening when I open the door to my barn and they are all excited to see me even though it’s because they are hungry.

I married a fella that grew up on a farm. They raised several species of animals in addition to milking cows, raising pigs,chickens for meat and eggs and rabbits.
We have been supplying venison to upscale restaurants in Milwaukee and was approached with the prospect of raising meat rabbits to sell to them. And that’s history for 4 years now.
I name all of my breeding stock and look forward to every morning and evening when I open the door to my barn and they are all excited to see me even though it’s because they are hungry.
I love my rabbit chores too. Family wants to help but i say "please don't help me. This is my fun time."

Well, it is a good question. I have a rare genetic defect and rabbit is one of the few proteins I can eat without issue. It is also very expensive at the grocery store. I also homestead to save on our grocery bill and do what I can for the environment. I also think it is good for my children, and just generally ethical and responsible. There are just so many benefits to rabbits, it makes sense. Very efficient animals, and you can literally use everything from urine, manure and tip to toe of the animal. Also I have had an interest in rare breed preservation. So rabbits just make sense. I also think more people should be raising rabbits. It would just make for a cleaner, kinder world.

The bunnies here appeared as an answer to the high cost of angora yarn. They provide amazing fiber for exquisite yarn and are some of the most cuddly 'livestock' on the planet. The bunny berries for the garden have saved us tons over the years by not having to buy imported fertilizers.

Bunnies and gardens are a great natural cycle, kinda like little speed composters.
I love what you say here. I am a Master Gardener and a felter and always have loved rabbits working at rabbit rescues and having my own bunny quite some time ago, I finally am getting a French Angora soon to start out for my Art projects .Will be updating with photos after I pick up my rabbit. Also I am a new member and hope to learn a lot from this site!

I wanted a livestock animal that was cute and soft. Chickens meet that criteria, but they're also noisy and their poop is gross. Rabbits are quieter, cuter, softer, and their poop is contained in pellets!

And while rabbits have never been farmed in my family, we hunted wild ones frequently enough that they had a noted impact on my childhood. My baby blanket and many of my cold weather clothes as a child were made of rabbit fur. I miss that.

Well, it is a good question. I have a rare genetic defect and rabbit is one of the few proteins I can eat without issue. It is also very expensive at the grocery store. I also homestead to save on our grocery bill and do what I can for the environment. I also think it is good for my children, and just generally ethical and responsible. There are just so many benefits to rabbits, it makes sense. Very efficient animals, and you can literally use everything from urine, manure and tip to toe of the animal. Also I have had an interest in rare breed preservation. So rabbits just make sense. I also think more people should be raising rabbits. It would just make for a cleaner, kinder world.
?? Your genetic issue with protein caught me. I have a grand daughter who has trouble digesting meat. Wonder if my rabbits could help her. Thanks so much for sharing.

My first rabbits were a gift, I was doing custom spinning for a 4-H girl, who wanted to wear a skirt made from her own sheep when showing them. Her aunt could knit the skirt, but their wool needed spun first, which is where I came in. After the last delivery of yarn, I returned to my car to find this incredibly cute fuzzy bunny sitting on my front seat, an English Angora rabbit. He was my first rabbit, a 'thank-you' for doing the spinning. We had an Angora breeder in my spinner's guild--I asked her how to take care of the rabbit, which she explained. She also warned me they were addictive, and she was so right. I've been spinning angora for over 40 years now, have raised most of the angora breeds at one time or another, but English Angoras are still my first love, with that irresistible teddy bear face and fuzzy ears, and perky but usually pleasant personality.

I adore Muscovy ducks, they don't (usually) quack, the males get quite large (10-15#, dressed hen turkey size) while the girls are much more petite (6-8#), which is easier on the feed bill. They free range whenever the snow is off the grass, and search out ticks and other insects, keeping all of our stock (and us) much safer. It also cuts to feed bill down to about nothing during the growing season. I select for the birds that roost on the ground (they are actually perching ducks, and the ones that roost in the trees like to fly, sometimes doing laps around the block). Every few years I get another flier, and it teaches the other young ones to fly. They're the first ones to the butcher block. They can be quite personable, I've had Muscovies fly up into my lap for treats, and they (mostly) come when called. They don't need a pond, although they do appreciate a nice water source (we use one of those rubber tubs the contractors use to mix cement in, only about 3' wide, but it doesn't crack when it freezes.) We put a brick in the bottom of the tub, and a wooden ramp that goes out of the tub so any baby ducks can get out again. (They sometimes jump in, and without the ramp can't get out again.) The hens start laying fairly early in the year (I've even had ducklings born in January in a mild year), lay multiple clutches, and have hatched as many as twenty plus ducklings at a time. Which makes a good source of eggs, meat, or ducklings for sale. Of course, if you have frree-range ducks, you also have free-range predators, but that's another story. . .

Last edited:
I am a Master Gardener and a felter and always have loved rabbits working at rabbit rescues and having my own bunny quite some time ago, I finally am getting a French Angora soon to start out for my Art projects .
I love angora felt. Will you be wet felting (the soap/hot water scrub method) or using felting needles? If you use the needles, I find the finer #40's work better for angora than the coarser needles made for wool.

They poop a lot, they're like a mix of geese, dinosaurs, and ducks look them up! lol,
they also like to fly super high and do weird head things(protective thing) that they think make them look scary but just make them look cuter!

Latest posts

Back