What breed to breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3girls&1man

Reaction score
Looking for any and all suggestions. Right now I breed Holland Lops. I am looking to expand. Only thing is I don't really know much on any other breeds. I figure I would make a post on what other breeders think about the different breeds. The do's and don'ts to them and such.... Thanks in advance. :reading2: :reading1: :typing:

If you'd like to stick to more of the pet breeds, I would chose either Netherlands or Lionheads. They just look so cool. The only thing is the grooming if you opt for later.

If you're willing to try breeding for comercial purposes, I would go with Rec New Zealands, I simply find them awsome, but they are quite popular. I personally would try to look for a breeder of some rare breed (maybe a local breed) and get into breeding them. NZs and Himis are just way to mainstream :cool: .

Everyone is obviously going to suggest their favourite breed... What you need to do is narrow down the scope a little bit... what are you looking for in a new breed, how much space do you have, how much grooming are you willing to do.

Raising Hollands are really neat. Good expansion is Am Fuzzy Lop. Same as Holland except with wooly coat. Shear your breeders and comb the show stock . Beautiful babies! Same caging and nest boxes. Another neat breed for you is the Mini Lop. Caging is close to the same but nest boxes need to be larger.
Look at the ARBA National rankings of breed entries and try to stay with the more popular breeds. Evaluate varieties that have lots of appeal in colors such as the broken patterns. I wish you the best.

Since you already have a pet breed (and a cute one at that!) why don't you choose a meat breed next? There are some larger breeds that still have demand for pets but also provide quality meat.

For what purpose do you want another breed? Each breed is meant for something. Go to a local show and just look around, see what catches your eye.

Lionheads are great for the pet market and now can be shown. I never got rich off mine but they covered all my rabbit expenses when I was breeding them. I have recently sold my LH stock. I also breed French Angoras and a Holland/Lionhead cross pair. I'm working on breeding my Velveteen Lops. I have found the Vlops to have amazing personalities. They are unlike any rabbit breed I have had. They let me rub their bellies, aren't skittish at all and super relaxed. If they are laying down when I approach the cage they just stay there, let me open the cage and then pet them. I have an Elop too which also has an amazing personality and disposition.

ckcs":tg57uy4q said:
I have found the Vlops to have amazing personalities. They are unlike any rabbit breed I have had. They let me rub their bellies, aren't skittish at all and super relaxed. If they are laying down when I approach the cage they just stay there, let me open the cage and then pet them.

Careful CKS,
Those v-lops will spoil you. :cool:

Back