well, that was gross

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
I finally figured out that I do in fact have 2 bucks...yep, the black one finally showed his manly traits. Two of my does are about 4-1/2 weeks post kindle, so I thought I would go ahead and rebreed them. I have some time before my new stock is ready and they are still fine and healthy, so what the heck, get some more buns out of them. :chef:

Well, since my black is a buck and I have a broken doe, I figured that would be a better pairing than my broken black buck to avoid any charlies. She had 2 charlies in the last litter. So, I introduced her to the young lad who was more than willing. She was not interested. That didn't keep him from trying, sometimes not very accurately. When it became obvious she wasn't going to cooperate, I reached in to pull her out of his cage and managed to stick my hand right in a nasty baby-making mess. :sick:

Sometimes I wonder what the heck I got myself into

For stsrters, they are mismarked and unshowable.

People have had health problems with them as well.

coffeenutdesigns":27mfsfko said:
I reached in to pull her out of his cage and managed to stick my hand right in a nasty baby-making mess. :sick:

Blech! I do AI for a local donkey and mule ranch, so I guess I should be used to it... but still. Blech!

Happy":27mfsfko said:
skysthelimit":27mfsfko said:
For stsrters, they are mismarked and unshowable.
Are they still delicious?

People have had health problems with them as well.
Like what?

Often times they will not survive to eating or breeding age. They tend to have digestive issues.

However, if you can get one to breeding age, they will give all broken babies when bred to a solid colored rabbit.

Happy":3qfwdsb7 said:
HAH!

So what's wrong with charlies anyway?

I've just heard that they can die unexpectedly from digestive problems or something. If I spend time feeding one up, I don't want to lose one before I intend to.

Well, if my 2 make it to eating stage that will be what they are for, but I will try to avoid broken to broken when I can, just seems counterproductive. Which is why I was going for the black to broken...and the resulting nastiness. :oops:

coffeenutdesigns":wzpor9lu said:
Well, if my 2 make it to eating stage that will be what they are for, but I will try to avoid broken to broken when I can, just seems counterproductive. Which is why I was going for the black to broken...and the resulting nastiness. :oops:
I get it, I was just wondering why. If they die of gut disease, then avoid it, of course. Now, it seems you might have to breed the brokens anyway, eh?

I'll give them another shot at it....and wear gloves, lol. They've been very, very separated, so I am going to put them closer for a bit.

When the 2 brokens were bred before (right before I got them due to a sexing error), I ended up with a fluffy little blue, though. so it wasn't all bad.

ok so what does one consider a charlie?

some say too much white too show.
some say lacking side spots on an ES and RH

A charlie is 2 broken genes, broken is one broken gene and of course self is no broken genes. They usually have 80%+ white.
I had 3 charlies in my new litter, I culled 2 for feeders right away and i'm going to see if the 3rd thrives, if not I know a few people who will gladly feed him off.

Latest posts

Back