Weird Kit Markings, what is it?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
Last fall I got a doe that is beyond confusing, color-wise. My best guess is she is a broken himilayan, since she is red-eyed, and all white EXCEPT for her ears, which are mottled grayish. I know nothing of her parentage, only that she is a purebred Netherland Dwarf (false dwarf though).

Twice I bred her to a buck, and twice she put them on the wire. I decided this third breeding is her third strike, and since I plan to sell as health-guaranteed quality pets, I tossed her in with several bucks her size...REW, black, blue. So I don't even know who sired this kit, LOL, since I wasn't sure this third litter would be alive when I found them!

Ergo, I have NO clue what this kit is, or who sired it, or what the dam's color genetics are. But I've never seen a newborn like this before! It's pink like a REW or Himi should be, but dark eyes!!! They aren't "clean" markings like I'd expect a broken to have either.

The current guesses are some kind of shaded something, or a false-Charlie.

Thoughts? :)

[album]2693[/album]

Huh, I don't know obviously but I'd be shocked if she's Vienna-carrying! How cool would THAT be?! :)

I can't wait for this litter to fur out, there's several that are strange looking and I can't figure them out to save my life. :)

Hotot is kind of hard to make so unlikely. It takes a combo of dutch and broken genes plus modifiers to really restrict the color. Vienna came to mind but I don't know. Might have to wait a few days until it starts to fur.

She would have to carry dutch and be visible broken (broken does not hide) to produce a hotot off a dutch buck.

She (the doe who birthed these kits that is) is for sure a broken since one of the other kits is a broken kit, none of the bucks I bred her to are broken (or carry broken in the case of my REW; he's genetically self black) and her ears, which is the only part of her that isn't white, have spotting showing that she's broken AND himi. :) I don't know about her carrying the Dutch color though...right now I wouldn't rule ANYTHING out. But she was put with my tiny Dutch buck as well as the others...

I think if one of the parents is a broken, to get a kit with lots of white like a charlie, all they have to inherit is a dutch gene, a vienna gene, or a gene that causes white markings. Be careful in the future if you breed because if they get two broken genes and lots of white they can get a condition called Megacolin- which means their colin is malformed and they develop digestive problems.

You need 2 dutch genes to get a hotot. Preferably it would be En*du^wdu^w but EnEndu^wdu^d will work except with the increased risk of digestive problems. Dark dutch, du^d, and/or lack of a broken gene will cause some body color ranging from a "booted dutch" to a "broken dutch". It gets even more complicated than that when you want to produce the most properly marked rabbits possible. There's linkage between the broken and dutch genes which throws off the percentages of getting various offspring. It doesn't match a typical punnet square diagram.

Well, an update! NONE of the kits look like they will be REW...all the "pink" ones are getting markings of some sort. There's a number of what look like false charlies! The kit I asked about originally (picture above) is getting some dots of color elsewhere but mostly just hotot-like black around the eyes. It's adorable!!! There's a second hotot-wannabe, but blue instead of black, and with a lot more "body dots." Cute as heck I tell you.

Another kit is throwing a wrench into the mix...it's either an otter or a chestnut. Every buck is a self, even the REW is a self under the REW, so the otter OR chestnut HAD to come from this weird doe!!!

Now I REALLY can't wait for this litter to fur out, I wanna see what the heck they are!!!!!!! :popcorn:

Darnit, of all the litter, this one weird/cool kit is now unable to nurse, so I'm going to cull it. :( Looks like a false charlie though...the dark marks are hotot-like and it has some tiny dots of color on the face and ears.

What a shame! :( The other six kits are doing fine...

Latest posts

Back