Weird broken blue :|

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the head on pics are showing me agouti marks. Earlining, eye circles and nose markings.

Oooh, think you might be right! :) She has eye circles for sure.

Especially a good point about the eyes. A dilute rabbit will have slate blue eyes that match the coat.

Is that always true? I fostered a broken blue last year that had mushroom-coloured eyes. They were almost purple-y, a warm grey-brown. (Pic below) Definitely not a deep-brown like Aglet's, though.

POST3_zpsmpwbpppe.jpg

I can see that she's a smokier color than I thought, both due to the better monitor I'm looking at and the better picture, but she still looks like a black base to ME, just because I do know that a black rabbit can look blue, but her shortest hairs look black (non-E??)

Lol I was so convinced!! Now I'm unsure. The spot on her back looks blue, as do her ears, but she is super dark around the face.

Normally this is correct, but very very rarely there are exceptions:
... not that I think this is relevant, I was just glad of the excuse to post these

Those are...so....cool. I want twelve of them.

So I'm sticking with weird broken blue, but attributing the weirdness to an interaction between En and silvering.
What's my point? Well Broken is also a KIT gene mutation. So, while silvering might not be common with broken patterns it still could be within the realm of possible expression.

In other words...a weird broken....

:lol: Weird is nice. It's so cool reading all of this!

__________ Mon May 18, 2015 5:52 pm __________

I find tort vs blue tort a tough call, especially on a long-hair but the fawn/red on his feet seems too dark for a dilute.

Ah okay :) He does have some spots of very rich colour. Thanks for letting me know!

Is that always true? I fostered a broken blue last year that had mushroom-coloured eyes. They were almost purple-y, a warm grey-brown. (Pic below) Definitely not a deep-brown like Aglet's, though.

I hope you didn't mind that I was playing around with the color of the photo to try and bring the true colors out. (My camera mangles colors too, so I often have to do it with my own photos.)

Would you say this rabbit was a softer color, or more slate-like shade of blue?

I can change it from looking like a blue to a lilac by slightly altering the color temperature.

Your description sounds very much like a lilac eye color. But now I need to get up to the rabbitry to go take photos of blue and lilac eyes.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 511
I hope you didn't mind that I was playing around with the color of the photo to try and bring the true colors out. (My camera mangles colors too, so I often have to do it with my own photos.)

Would you say this rabbit was a softer color, or more slate-like shade of blue?

I can change it from looking like a blue to a lilac by slightly altering the color temperature.

Your description sounds very much like a lilac eye color. But now I need to get up to the rabbitry to go take photos of blue and lilac eyes.

That actually looks close to what I remember! It was such a hard colour to capture on film. And she definitely was a softer blue than Aglet. She had reddish pupils as well (which might align with lilac).

My experience with dilute and lilac
(lilac = dilute + chocolate) is that the eye color generally matches genetic coat color so closely, that it is often easier for me to ID non-extension colors (like blue or lilac based tort or cream), with the eye color rather than by coat shades.

__________ Mon May 18, 2015 7:42 pm __________

Two random 8 week old kits. (Who were not at all impressed with the camera flash . Sorry little guys. :( )

The one on top is a lightly marked lilac gts. (gts=gold tipped steel) The steel makes the coat a teeny bit more tawny/pinkish looking than a self lilac would be at this age.

The bottom is a self blue or maybe a lightly marked blue gts.
Steel doesn't effect eye color, it just messes with ticking and agouti marks which can play with coat shade a bit.

You are correct that lilac(any chocolate) based rabbits often have a red cast on their eyes. This one has it, but I made sure to get a pic without to show the eye color.

Attachments

• GEDC5053ff.jpg
    GEDC5053ff.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 494
twr":39ag56rf said:
Susie570":39ag56rf said:
you can't have black and blue on the same rabbit?
Normally this is correct, but very very rarely there are exceptions:

... not that I think this is relevant, I was just glad of the excuse to post these.

Whoa!!! That's cool!! What is that called??

twr":39ag56rf said:
Also, don't brown eyes indicate non-dilute?
Most dilutes do have blue-grey eyes, but I think brown-eyed dilutes are fairly common too.

Interesting.

I also believe that Brown eyes on dilutes would have to be a pale brown.

Where's DOOD when you need him??? :p
Exactly. I've had my fun, and now I just want to know the answer :)

I KNOW, right? ;)

The one on top is a lightly marked lilac gts. (gts=gold tipped steel) The steel makes the coat a teeny bit more tawny/pinkish looking than a self lilac would be at this age.

The lilac eye looks identical to my old foster's. Looking at the photos of her, it makes sense that she's a dark lilac and not a blue.

Beautiful babies, by the way!

Regarding the original post -

The more I look at her the more I think she is a broken blue gold or silver tipped steel

I don't see lilac at all

I cannot account for her odd broken pattern but the Vienna gene often adds a lot of scattered white hairs so she could be a carrier and this could also account for her having less than 10% colour, unless she is a true and not a false Charlie :shrug:

If you plan to breed her hopefully some of the mystery will be solved

Zass":12qqzp9h said:
Dood":12qqzp9h said:
The more I look at her the more I think she is a blue gold or silver tipped steel

I don't see lilac at all

I was under the impression that there were two different does we were talking about.
Sorry, I should have specified I was talking about the rabbit in the original post ;)

Susie570":lbuo8bkp said:
twr":lbuo8bkp said:

... not that I think this is relevant, I was just glad of the excuse to post these.
Whoa!!! That's cool!! What is that called??
They don't have a name because they are literally one-offs (very rare and the pattern cannot be inherited). I know of two ways this sort of thing can happen. The first way is that they started out as Dd, then very early in development one cell spontaneously mutated to dd, so parts that descended from the mutant cell turn out dd and the rest remain Dd. The other way is that very early in development a D_ and a dd embryo fused so the parts descended from one of the original embryos look blue and those descended from the other one look black.

Apologies if I should not have sidetracked the thread with this.

I don't see lilac at all

Oh, the lilac was a second doe. Sorry about that...I got a bit off-topic :oops:

I cannot account for her odd broken pattern but the Vienna gene often adds a lot of scattered white hairs so she could be a carrier and this could also account for her having less than 10% colour, unless she is a true and not a false Charlie :shrug:

If you plan to breed her hopefully some of the mystery will be solved

Unfortunately she was given to me spayed. That would have been a fun breeding experiment! So I suppose she'll always be a little mysterious, but it's very cool you were able to get all of that. Thank you!

Apologies if I should not have sidetracked the thread with this.

I'm glad you did! I found it very interesting.

Dood":w0ww70gm said:
The more I look at her the more I think she is a broken blue gold or silver tipped steel
chocolatesilvertipsteelminiloprabbit.JPG.opt401x266o0%2C0s401x266.JPG

Above is a photo of a Silver Tipped Chocolate Steel. It actually looks a bit like her (minus the white), though she's lighter in the body and face. I definitely see the silver tipped in Aglet :) <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> Actually, the lighting prob makes the above bun look darker than it is.
In that case, looks very much like Aglet!

I'm sorry, I tried tweaking it...but I was absolutely unable to make that steel bun look like a chocolate for you. :lol:

It really looks like a black based silver tipped steel on my computer.

Zass":25gqaa3h said:
I'm sorry, I tried tweaking it...but I was absolutely unable to make that steel bun look like a chocolate for you. :lol:

Oh, that's what the person listed her as :( http://kkrabbits.yolasite.com/mini-lops.php
Hopefully it's okay to link to someone's site? I'm brand new here, so not entirely sure what all the rules are yet.

Romapacoff":2dam6z6z said:
Zass":2dam6z6z said:

Oh, that's what the person listed her as :( http://kkrabbits.yolasite.com/mini-lops.php
Hopefully it's okay to link to someone's site? I'm brand new here, so not entirely sure what all the rules are yet.

I try to post only my images...and memes of course :)

But, I don't think it's poor manners to post a pic from a public page if you link to the source, like you did. :)

That person must know what they are talking about..since they have black based rabbits to compare too...Maybe their camera is just darkening it a lot :shrug:

My chocolate gold tipped steels always look really really...chocolate. But I play with my photos a ton to try to get their colors true to life. (and I still don't always succeed!)

I wonder if there is a free photo editing program people could use???

Attachments

• GEDC1715.JPG
    GEDC1715.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 522
Zass":2l230aeo said:
My chocolate gold tipped steels always look really really...chocolate. But I play with my photos a ton to try to get their colors to show right.

I wonder if there is a free photo editing program people could use???

.....pretty :p That's what I picture when I think 'classic rabbit'.

As for a free editing program, I use GIMP. It's pretty easy to download, an idiot-friendly version of photoshop.

I just use a program called photo gallery, pretty sure it's a free windows thing.
I think it's this one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... to-gallery

Just today I was able to start with a pic that was just like this one (taken a second before or after this one, dunno, didn't save the original image):
GEDC5162.JPG

and get it to show me this much color(lynx):

GEDC5159.JPG

And, nope, I didn't use flash on that second image. It really did look just like the first when I started editing.

I just played with the highlights and shadows, and adjusted the tint to eliminate the green cast my camera always wants to add. <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 pm __________ <br /><br /> Maybe this should be it's own thread...

Zass":fyzqt31t said:
Maybe this should be it's own thread...

Lol we do seem to get off topic quite a bit :lol: But that is an extraordinary difference! I think it would've helped if I'd edited my photos like that...some of the pics I posted make her look extremely dark.

Back