Weights

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookdbeak13

Reaction score
I had a litter of 8 born in October 2014. Only 3 survived (due to getting pulled out of the nest overnight and chilled on the wire) and I weighed them today. They are 11 weeks old this week and I weighed them today:
?Doe- 2.8lbs
?Buck- 2.5lbs (Thinking of holding him back for a breeder)
?Buck- 2.1lbs (Has always been the smallest of the litter)

Dam is 5.3lbs at almost 2 years old and Sire is 9.2lbs and will be a year old at the end of the month.

I am not sure what the Dam is mixed with- she was sold to me as New Zealand, but it is apparent she is mixed...They had some smaller buns there when I got her, but I am not sure what they were. Sire is 3/4 New Zealand and 1/4 Flemish Giant.

How much longer should I let them grow out, or better yet, since they are free fed, what weight should they be dispatched?

Thanks

Not sure what the dam is mixed with but her weight is very low. Her weight is what those 11 week kits should be. Butcher when you want but you won't get much meat, only about 50 - 60% of live weight. 4.5lbs + would be better to butcher.

Yes that doe is not a meat breed with that weight...If you can sell them on the pet market and use the funds to buy a better doe...I butchered a small (4) litter of 11 week olds today live weight was 7 lbs. and 5 to6 oz. got about 4 lbs apiece give or take...Earlier this week I did 3 12 week olds they weighed in at about 8.5 lbs live got about 5 apiece...Mine are Flemish and Black Chin..
People will sell anything as New Zealand.. I got took on my first time out too. Make sure you see the parents if it is a youngster..You could look for breeding stock but it's buyer beware.....

I have had 8-9 week old kits that weigh more than your doe.

Your new ermine FG(cross?) will very likely produce more meat in 8 weeks, than the little doe did in 11.

Sounds like your doe is either not a New Zealand at all or she is a New Zealand crossed with something very small. Your doe is within weight range for a Florida White, which looks fairly similar to a NZ White. As others have suggested, if you're looking for 8-10 week old kits ready for butcher at close to five pounds it may be prudent to find a larger doe. There are lots of great meaty breeds/crosses that may work and cost you less in feed to get them to weight.

Latest posts

Back