:( Week earlier ):

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild1slilfarm

Reaction score
One of my White New Zealand does ("Georgia") Had a litter of 8, the only problem was they are a week early :cry_baby: :cry_baby: , I give her big pionts for trying ot make a nest on her floor mat. :oops: Still I feel bad for her this would have been her second litter.
Note: some of the kits were still in the sack any ideas

Awww! So sorry! :(

I have no idea why they would be born in the sac unless they were so small that there wasn't enough pressure to make it burst as they were birthed.

Sorry to hear of this. I think MSD's thoughts on the sacs sounds like a plausible explanation.

Yea the kits were super tiny, I should have taken pics but I just wanted to get them out of her pen she looked so streesed and sad, I think she might have been stressed out from dog fight yeasterday

Every once in a while, a human baby will be born still in the sac. Probably weirds out the nurses...

So sorry to hear of the premature birth. :( Poor mama!

kits born a week early are extremely frail. I sorry that you lost yours. I know when Lori had hers six days early we didn't dare touch them. Her's survived (four kits) but as they matured they died from one thing after the other (seemed mostly lung issues) except for one who went to a lovely pet home. I thought he was a great bunny but I didn't want to risk passing that "early birth" thing along to anyone else. Should that happen again I'll be tempted to just cull them rather than have the heartbreak of watching them die..... except for the one boy... ah...he was a special kit. :)

Anyways, sorry she lost them.

Could be a genetic incompatibility OR it could have been fright...one just can't always know.

Miss M":1m6f61t0 said:
Every once in a while, a human baby will be born still in the sac. Probably weirds out the nurses...

I think all of my kids would have been born that way- after about 20 hours of labor with Firstpup, Lori (my midwife) asked me if I wanted her to rupture the sac as it might speed the birth, and at that point I was willing to try anything! Anyway, she had a very hard time of it, and we called it the Hefty Steel Sac! Queenpup was born "in the bag"- and Lori said that according to midwifery lore she will either have second sight or be a midwife herself some day. Colliepup was attended by a different midwife (who I would never recommend nor use again), and she broke his sac without asking me first. I was less than pleased.

Back