Weaning Advice Needed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
My one Doe Sarah, mini rex, has a litter of 2 surviving that are almost 6 weeks old and are bigger than the other litter that is one week older. They are chubby little things, my dh says they have chipmunk cheeks.

Isabella (other litter) weaned her kits about 2 weeks ago. They are already in a separate cage. They haven't nursed in a couple weeks and Isabella didn't seem to clean them at that point or do much with them. The kits from ISabella are doing great and it was an easy transisition to the grow out cage.

I bred back both Isabella and Sarah and they are both due on June 9th.

I am still seeing Sarah nursing her 2 kits twice a day. She cleans them, babies them, nurses them even though they eat like little piggies from the bowl.

I want to move the kits out so Sarah has a week and a half without kits. At this point do I just remove the kits or should I leave them with her and not worry about her having much break? Both does are in awesome shape and great condition.

Just not sure what to do but I know some of you will have some great ideas for me. :)

6 weeks and still nursing? Just pull them and let mom rest, she'll be very happy about it.

ChickiesnBunnies":1q60j6ul said:
6 weeks and still nursing? Just pull them and let mom rest, she'll be very happy about it.

See, ridiculous, right? The mini rexes are on a screened in porch, directly out my kitchen window and I can look into Sarah's cage. I've caught her nursing them every night, including tonight. The kits are on their backs just suckling away, all fat and happy.

If I just pull them, do I need to do anything to dry Sarah up or should it be ok since there are just the 2 kits?

Sarah was my one who is a first time Mom who I originally thought wasn't feeding her kits good. She more than got the idea.<br /><br />__________ Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 am __________<br /><br />Ok, I pulled the two this morning, it is supposed to hit the low 90s today. This weekend we were at 50F. Sarah is already looking hot and once I moved her babes, she stretched out and looked more comfortable (her kits like to lay on top of her).

So far so good. Now I am just watching does to see if I need to move anyone inside.

If they're still actively nursing I'd be worried about mastitis by pulling both all of a sudden. At least throw her some mint or something.

mystang89":2khs2c46 said:
If they're still actively nursing I'd be worried about mastitis by pulling both all of a sudden. At least throw her some mint or something.

I'll give her some mint.

I was thinking I may put a kit back in with her tonight, just let her nurse for a few minutes and do that for a few days so it is more gradual.

Good idea or bad?

Our other doe weaned her kits on her own, they were done nursing by 4 weeks.

I just really want Sarah to have a break before her next litter in another 11 days. I wanted her to have a full 2 weeks. She does look great, is still in great condition and this is the last litter until fall or winter.

Me personally, in my personal opinion and of my personal thought....personally...I would take one and put it back in with her for another 3 days like you are doing, giving her mint each day until you take the kit out. Personally.

Latest posts

Back