We gots us a problem.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raetcd

Reaction score
So this is our first time breeding rabbits. We have one Cali buck who was successfully bread with three Cali does and all three does just gave birth.

We have one doe which is an older one that had 9 healthy kits.

We have another doe that gave birth to her first litter the same day as the older doe and had 9 kits but one of them died during birth (probably got squished to death by momma)

The last doe had 9 kits for her very first litter as well 2 days later which was a surprise as we just thought she missed. One of hers also died during birth.

The problem is that 2 from the last litter are very malnourished and look like they may not make it without us intervening. Is there a chance we can take 2 of those malnourished kits and put them in with the older doe and she can take care of them better?

We are brand new and although we've done a lot of research we will probably still come up with some novice questions like this from time to time. Thanks in advance for accomodating us.

You can foster kits to other does. I would check out the pics here before you move any kits: fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures-t3052.html?hilit=fed%20vs.%20unfed%20kits

The oldest doe is not necessarily the best milk producer, so if you compare the litters belly's you will get a better idea of who to foster to.

Edit: It is not unusual to find a dead kit or two at birth, especially with first time does, so don't feel too badly. Congratulations on all of your other kits! Good job breeding multiple does at once also, just for this type of situation. You got lucky- when I only had 2 does to breed, they never would be "in the mood" at the same time so I couldn't foster kits.

You can certainly try fostering to a doe that may have better milk production. You have nothing to lose by trying. Often, however, there are runts or weak kits that just will not make it. Nature's way... ensuring only the fit survive. But it goes against our compassionate feelings not to at least try to help the weaklings.

Ok so we can foster..that's great...but how many kits can a doe safely handle at once?

Before fostering try to get them full or they won't stand a chance against the energetic well fed kits in a litter that size. I've done it many times and had kits squished to the bottom and dead because they lacked the mass and energy to compete against kits who had been getting fed. I'd actually split them too instead of giving 2 to one doe I'd try giving 1 to the other doe that lost one rather than a litter of 11 when we don't know if the doe has enough milk for that. They'll also be more likely to get lost the larger the litter. To get milk in them you can flip over an easy going doe and set them on her (be ready to grab quickly cause if she flails she can slice the kits with her toenails) or you can hold the doe over them for a slightly less easy going but still friendly doe. If it's warm enough you can remove half the litter that is in the best condition for one feeding (usually overnight) and they will survive just fine missing 1 feeding while the others can catch up if both sets are kept warm enough. Some will even divide a big litter and rotate them so they feed every other day and actually have success but the kits will grow slowly that way since they are starving every other day and it runs risks to do long term instead of just once or twice until everyone is more even. Last you can try a little hand feeding with any animal formula as a supplement until they catch up but they will not willingly eat much fake milk unless very hungry and sometimes refuse your attempts until they've gone days without food.

I've had does that can't raise more than 5 and a doe weaning 16 right now with no losses.

i know it is counter intuitive BUT it is often better to foster over the better nourished ones of the litter. Depending on the doe, they can handle up to 13-15 at a time. Generally those litters end up dividing themselves up though.

If you leave the weak ones behind they don't have to deal with a new living environment. Stronger kits are more able to adapt to the changes as well.

digitaloutlaw":3azypy0i said:
I do not know but what ladysown says makes a lot of sense

Yup, I agree with Ladysown, foster over the two largest, one to each of the other does.

ladysown":a8nwgp8t said:
i know it is counter intuitive BUT it is often better to foster over the better nourished ones of the litter.

:p BRILLIANT!!! :p

That's a great idea. I will take the two biggest well fed ones from that litter and transfer them in the morning. Thanks..that really is smart. I wouldn't have come up with that one on my own.

raetcd":16il40ev said:
Thanks..that really is smart. I wouldn't have come up with that one on my own.

:oops: Me neither. I think we all had to come up with it on "our Ladysown"! :lol:

my general rule of thumb when fostering as learned from an old hand in the business

biggest strongest kits get fostered from an young litter into an older litter.
smallest weakest kits get fostered from an older litter into a younger litter.

I will often mix and match litters until I have similar sized kits together. I find that way they have the best chance of survival. I've had harlequins raise polish, polish raise meat crosses. Everything depends on the kits involved and who I have who has kindled within one week of another.

SUGGESTION

Let the little ones eat first!!!

If fostering seems to be too much of a lactation requirement for the foster doe-- remove all kits from the Doe that is lacking in the care department,-- then, take the kits to her-- three times a day--permit the small weak kits to feed first-- then they are full, add the larger, stronger back to the mother. This gives the smaller kits first dibs at the dining table, gets them full, then lets the bigger ones fight it out for themselves-- everyone gets fed--

So, this would work in the case where there are no other does to foster to, as well..

Let the little ones eat first!!!

MamaSheepdog":ow7a7agh said:
raetcd":ow7a7agh said:
Thanks..that really is smart. I wouldn't have come up with that one on my own.

:oops: Me neither. I think we all had to come up with it on "our Ladysown"! :lol:

HA! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well we went took one of each of the malnourished kits and gave them to the other does. They snuggled right in and so I guess we'll see what the result is in a couple days. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back