***warning. NOOB question***

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgregoire687

Reaction score
I have lurking around RT, cor several weeks and now my first post. My son, who is 11y/o, wanted to raise rabbits, for his Boy Scout Merit Badge (animal science). We decided to raise rabbits. Now with a three cage hut, 3 rabbits ( 1 NZ buck 2 NZ does), which are living in my sporadically heated and insulated barn, we are ready to roll. The buck is a year old and the does are 4 months old. I expect to begin breeding in February.

While I am sure to have many questions, my first question is how much feed per day? Per feeding?

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Welcome to RT Jerry. Feeding depends on each rabbit. Right now, my non-breeders and bucks are only getting a little over 1/4 cup of feed but they get all the hay they can handle. The only bred doe is 10 days from kindling and she's eating about 1/2 a cup plus hay. In the summer they'll probably cut back to even less. You'll have to experiment to keep them fit, remembering that fat rabbits are just as unhealthy as thin. Fat does can die at birth or become sterile. Fat bucks might be too lazy to breed. Good luck to you and your son.

Rae... you are feeding MEAT rabbits just 1/4 cup of pellets per day? How are they doing on that diet? are they boney or just in good shape?

generally speaking meat rabbits eat if on a 16-17% protein ration.... 3/4 - 1 cup of pellets per day. This may or may not include some supplementation of hay.

There are some who feed a 18% ration and are able to feed their does 1/2-3/4 cup of feed daily.

Supplementation may include: 1 tbsp calf manna for nursing does, hay, oats, grain mix, safe greens, and/or straw. Mine are on a current rotation of hay, hay cube, hay, apple branch, hay, nothing, hay. In the winter, on the non-hay days they get 1 tbsp of grain mix in the evening.

Supplementation is NOT needed to raise your rabbits well.. it just gives them something different to do and eat.

Raise your rabbits to do well on the feed and care that you give them. Cull any that don't meet your standards for how you raise your rabbits.

I don't know much about the scouts - is there a deadline for the finished project? I'm asking because the does are young and many first litters are a loss. Try to plan enough time for more than one litter to be kindled so there will be a greater chance of success.

LadySown, they're doing great. Our buck OldMan who is 6 years old was looking quite sorry after an injury, but even he is slowly but surely putting the weight back on. Our younger pair are 7 and 6 1/2 months old and they're just as firm as can be. No bones, no fat. Coats and eyes all look great. And other than OldMan's injury (dog scared him) we haven't had any health problems at all. *Knocks on wood* The pregnant doe is a little on the heavy side, even a little soft across the back and shoulders. And while they do only get a little bit of pellets, they have all the hay they can eat and a handful of weeds almost every day. I'll have to see if I can upload a picture tomorrow, I guess it's possible that they wont look so fit to an unbiased observer.

Jgregoire687":3p8luzz4 said:
I have lurking around RT, cor several weeks and now my first post. My son, who is 11y/o, wanted to raise rabbits, for his Boy Scout Merit Badge (animal science).
Welcome to the wonderful world of rabbits, from another Scouting family.

Unfortunately, rabbits are not one of the available options for animal science merit badge, and the BSA got rid of rabbit raising merit badge some years ago. Here are the requirements for animal science merit badge:

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Animal_Science

Thanks for all the replies. I was feeding my rabbits a 1/2 cup a day, now I am going up to 3/4 cup a day.

I know the scouts eliminated the rabbit merit badge, and while the animal science does not specifically speak to rabbits, our merit badge counselor has allowed the use of rabbits under the category of poultry. Since the USDA has now classified rabbits as poultry, I guess that will work.

Thanks again

Jerry

Latest posts

Back