• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: PELTS with Ears on

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DumansArk":kou75pai said:
Celice":kou75pai said:
OH! I forgot to let you know that there is a website where you can buy rex hides. They are pricey but it's kinda normal for rex furred bunnies: http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/7255.html

THANK YOU CELICE!!!!!!! The selection is much wider than on Etsy and Ebay where I've been searching for Rex pelts. DOUBLE THANK YOU!!

no problem!! I've ordered from these people before and they have really good quality stuff!! and really fast shipping! XD

JenerationX":19h4rgsa said:
Please tell me there will be pics of these gifts when you get them done. I'm trying to picture dangling rabbit ears. Elop ears would be hysterical.

:lol: :lol: I would love to share the pics ha! And I WISH I STILL HAD MY ELOPS!! I wish I had tanned back then, because I had a gorgeous tri color Elop buck with a cruel temperament, but adorable ears (and fur). I'd have felt much better putting pelts and parts to use when I had to cull. At least the dogs never let anything truly go to waste :D <br /><br /> __________ Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ramjet - I appreciate the link to Glacier Wear!! I am supposed to be looking for Rex rabbit but I saw Wolves and got distracted :lol:

Celice that is REALLY GREAT to hear! YAAAAY!! :p

I can't imagine cutting off ears and faces. I love the fox fur hood on my coat and all but I just don't think I could be the one to kill or skin anything with my own hands. Well... maybe a chicken. I guess I'm weird. You could hand me a butchered rabbit and I'd be OK with that.. just not having to take the pelt off myself... or cut the head off. :lol:

What's the difference between tanned and taxidermy quality?

OHHHHH wow.. look at the wolf rug on the Glacier Wear site. Hit the thumbnail of the face. That's quite the statement piece. http://www.glacierwear.com/wolf-rug-89504.html

DumansArk":2i49uyrh said:
JenerationX":2i49uyrh said:
Ramjet - I appreciate the link to Glacier Wear!! I am supposed to be looking for Rex rabbit but I saw Wolves and got distracted :lol:

Glacier Wear has damn near everything under the sun that isn't endangered / illegal .... I've been eyeing the wolf & coyote hides too but I think I better improve upon my leatherworking skills before I delve into something so expensive.
I've ordered a few items from them in the past with good results / timely service.

Taxidermy quality is when the pelt is whole with feet, tail, and head in tacked with no holes. then the ears, eyes, and lips are split and the pelt is tanned. This way the pelt can me mounted on a foam form for the wall or lifesize.

back hides can't be taxidermy quality because there is nothing to mount. :)

Celice":3hfsexva said:
Taxidermy quality is when the pelt is whole with feet, tail, and head in tacked with no holes. then the ears, eyes, and lips are split and the pelt is tanned. This way the pelt can me mounted on a foam form for the wall or lifesize.

Thanks! I got confused because some of the non-taxidermy ones did have the legs, tail, and some looked like heads... but yeah, no feet. Although one site or the other had spare legs and feet...... :shock:

JenerationX":3fqvzvuo said:
Celice":3fqvzvuo said:

Thanks! I got confused because some of the non-taxidermy ones did have the legs, tail, and some looked like heads... but yeah, no feet. Although one site or the other had spare legs and feet...... :shock:

Any damage to the eyelids, lips or ears can render a pelt "not-mountable".

Taxidermy quality rabbit pelts can be very challenging for a tanner, especially ones broken(worked soft) for soft mounting.

For anyone curious, there is a lot of demand for it, but it's really difficult to de-bone and break rabbit feet and tails without ripping them apart. Mature bucks will be the easiest.

Dumansark, did you get my e-mail?

Zass":71w3vcsr said:
but it's really difficult to de-bone and break rabbit feet and tails without ripping them apart. Mature bucks will be the easiest.

no truer words!

Zass":2k8cshlp said:
Dumansark, did you get my e-mail?

Indeed I did, thank you! I tried to reply twice, but got a mailer-daemon errors so I sent you a message on Facebook :D ...And then, forgot to tell you here! *facepalm*

__________ Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:31 pm __________

Zass":2k8cshlp said:

Since I'm reshaping them today, would you prefer the ears open, partially open, or closed?

THEY LOOK AMAZING - just like that! I would venture that is partially open. THANKS SO MUCH!!!! <br /><br /> __________ Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh!! I'll bet my Facebook message went to your "Other" folder too

Zass and Celice, you were my HEROES!

Celice gave a recommendation for Moscow and I ended up with extra in my cart when all was said and done :D (The raccoon tails were sewn to headbands for the kids to enjoy)
Here are the hand sewn mittens (they got ice blue dyed cuffs added right before I shipped them but I didn't get photos of them finished unfortunately)
mittens.jpg

Zass saved my bacon with these Ears, LOOK AT THESE BEAUTIFUL Ears - plans changed when the joke took on a life of its own and I was told to send them to my Dad, whose reaction upon opening the package was absolutely priceless. We'll be talking about this one at Christmas for years to come :lol:
lend_me_your_ears.jpg

I didn't get the full rabbit in time to sew the bag. Truth be told, I was relieved. I had multiple projects going on at once, and at the end I was so happy when the shipping cutoff for Christmas delivery came. =) I saw this on Etsy though and I only wish there were more. My sisters want matching rabbit bags for Christmas 2015. Guess I'd better start raising Rex :D
https://www.etsy.com/listing/212188252/ ... pe=gallery

DumansArk":3w4gfaue said:
Zass and Celice, you were my HEROES!

Celice gave a recommendation for Moscow and I ended up with extra in my cart when all was said and done :D (The raccoon tails were sewn to headbands for the kids to enjoy)
Here are the hand sewn mittens (they got ice blue dyed cuffs added right before I shipped them but I didn't get photos of them finished unfortunately)
mittens.jpg

Zass saved my bacon with these Ears, LOOK AT THESE BEAUTIFUL Ears - plans changed when the joke took on a life of its own and I was told to send them to my Dad, whose reaction upon opening the package was absolutely priceless. We'll be talking about this one at Christmas for years to come :lol:
lend_me_your_ears.jpg

I didn't get the full rabbit in time to sew the bag. Truth be told, I was relieved. I had multiple projects going on at once, and at the end I was so happy when the shipping cutoff for Christmas delivery came. =) I saw this on Etsy though and I only wish there were more. My sisters want matching rabbit bags for Christmas 2015. Guess I'd better start raising Rex :D
https://www.etsy.com/listing/212188252/ ... pe=gallery

Those mittens came out great .... Was that a home made pattern or one you bought , if the latter where did you get it ?!

Latest posts

Back